new member from NC

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

nckissfan

new member from NC

Post by nckissfan » Thu May 22, 2008 11:05 am

hey all. I bought two clown loaches for my aquarium yesterday. I have a 30 gallon tank. The tank has been setup for 7 years. There were only three tetras in there before I got these two clowns. I keep live plants, and have been having a major snail problem. It was driving me nuts. I wanted to get some yoyo loaches, cause I liked their appearance, but my local fish store couldn't get any, so I got the two clowns. They did very well getting used to the tank. They have not shown any aggression to the tetras, and in one day, consumed every snail. I am amazed at how quickly they ate them. Problem solved. If I do come across some yoyos, I will get a few.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Thu May 22, 2008 11:16 am

Hi NC and welcome :D

Words of caution: many of us here initially bought loaches to clear up a snail problem. As someone who now specifically raises snails to feed my loaches, I can attest to their addictiveness. You're on the verge of loachaholism- be prepared!

I'm sure you'll find a lot of great advice here. Please take the time to read as much as you can about these new additions of yours. If you treat them well, they will live for many, many years, and provide you with a lot of enjoyment. They are far more than just 'snail eaters', my friend!

For starters, two loaches aren't going to be enough. You'll need at least one more- although 5 is about the minimum group advised for optimal 'loach happiness'. Please know that these adorable little bitty guys you just got can grow VERY large (check out the pics of Marge here on the site). You'll be wanting to start planning for a larger tank very soon, as they need lots of room and since they are river fish, they enjoy a bit of a current in the tank. RIGHT NOW- please make sure there are a few hiding places for them- there is also some very good advice here about what constitutes a good 'hidey-hole' for loaches of all types. Clowns love to pack themseves into tight places together, and you'll actually see them a lot more if they feel that they have a safe place to hide in when they get spooked.

Enjoy! They are the most fun wet pets you can get!

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

nckissfan

Post by nckissfan » Thu May 22, 2008 11:20 am

thanks for the response. I have some rocks for them to hide in, they seem to have taken to them. I will get a few more clowns then, I don't have a problem with that. My budget is very limited, so if I do things to the tank, it will have to be in moderation. A few things here and there is ok, can't go crazy.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 am

Don't go crazy- one more in a tank that size is all I'd recommend. But plan ahead, and know that very likely, you will find yourself spending a lot more of your fun money on upgrading your tank. It's quite addictive!

There's lots of DIY advice here too- it's a great hobby and you can't beat the folks on LOL for great tips and tricks.

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

nckissfan

Post by nckissfan » Thu May 22, 2008 11:34 am

this is the first successful tank I have setup. I didn't do anything special, just a 30gal setup from Wally World. I have gravel in it, and a undergravel filter. The three tetras in the tank are as old as the tank. I have moved four times since setting this tank up. I had more fish when I started. I didn't lose any from the moving. I had a pleco that was only an inch long when I bought him. He was almost 7 inches long, from head to tail, when he killed himself. He rammed his head into a rock one night, found him dead in the morning, wedged under the rock. I, admit, I bought these loaches for snail patrol, but they are cool looking, so I am hooked on them.

I was thinking of adding some kind of driftwood. What would you suggest? Do you have to do something to it before putting in the tank? What about adding that sand I have read about on here? Can I do that with a undergravel filter?

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Thu May 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey NC,

I bought a 1" pleco myself a couple of years ago. 'Ralph' is now about 10" long and going strong. Sorry about yours committing suicide. They are another fish that gets sold tiny with no warning about the size they'll reach. Ralph is another reason I had to get a larger tank :roll:

Driftwood is great, but it requires some preparation. Here's a great article that describes the process- http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... cleid=3319

As for the sand, what kind of substrate do you have now? Unless it's sharp or otherwise dangerous, I'd leave it alone for now. Changing over to sand would be the way to go when changing over to a larger tank for your clowns, but I don't think the expense and effort is necessarily worth it right now. Undergravel filters don't work with sand, and the stress to your fish would not make it a priority, IMHO.

Kate

nckissfan

Post by nckissfan » Thu May 22, 2008 12:31 pm

ok, I didn't think the sand would work with the undergravel filter. I was planning on doing a large salt water, but now I think I might do a large river tank, with loaches, of course. I think that one I will do the sand. Thanks for the link on driftwood.

My pleco was a beautiful fish. His spots were perfect. He looked like a shark when he would swim. Ah well, I guess all things have to come to an end sometime.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi nckissfan, welcome to Loaches Online. :D

Unfortunately the tank you have is far too small for clown loaches. You really need to upgrade as soon as possible, to avoid stunting them. If you haven't done so already, have a look through the following articles, which detail their requirements and which may be of interest:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/cl ... cracanthus

http://www.loaches.com/articles/an-intr ... ping-botia

http://www.loaches.com/articles/my-clown-loach-aquarium

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

nckissfan

Post by nckissfan » Thu May 22, 2008 1:20 pm

unfortunately upgrading the tank is not an option at this time. ugh. What to do??

nckissfan

Post by nckissfan » Thu May 22, 2008 1:31 pm

I guess I could take the fish back to the store, they are guaranteed for 14 days.

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 pm

nckissfan wrote:I guess I could take the fish back to the store, they are guaranteed for 14 days.
That's what I did, and then I lectured the store on misinforming me! It was ok, we had a good relationship ;) It was a yoyo, not a clown, but a similar situation.

It's really hard (at least for me) to give up a fish I've grown attached to, but the guilt and stress that comes from keeping fish in conditions that aren't good for them makes having them no fun.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Thu May 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Well, I don't want to discourage you, NC. If you keep your clowns in their current surroundings, making sure to provide hiding space and proper nutrition while you plan a river tank in the reasonably near future, I'd keep what you've got and get the upgrade going as soon as possible.

Read up, learn as much as possible, ask questions when necessary, and you'll love being a loachaholic. I'd rather see that happen than have you return your clowns to the LFS, only to be resold to someone else that isn't as interested in their well-being- so if you do decide they aren't for you and you do return them- make sure you give your fish guy (or gal) a talking to!

Kate

nckissfan

Post by nckissfan » Fri May 23, 2008 7:55 am

how fast is their growth rate? The two that I have are 1 inch long, roughly. Seriously, how long will it take them to get to 7-8 inches long? They look happy, and are eating. I don't want to take them back, but there is no way in the next 6 months I can have a new tank set up, unless I find a big tank for really cheap. I may have someone that can take them. She has a really big tank, not sure the size, but it is bigger than a 55gal, looks like a 70 or a 90. She has one big pleco, and one big fish, not sure the kind, but it looks similar to an oscar. It isn't a oscar, I know that much. Would the clowns be ok with that type of fish?

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Fri May 23, 2008 8:11 am

Clown loach tanek many years to reach a reasonable size. Those that do, its generally down to good quality food/balanced diet, and good water quality throughout their life. The problem with your tank is that you have very little water volume to dilute the waste products that the fish produce until it is broken down by the benefical bacteria that is being housed in your filter, the bacteria eventaully break this down into nitrate which you then remove by your weekly water changes. This nitrate is not as toxic to your fish as ammonia or nitrite and they can withstand a low amount within the water (best to be no more than 5-20ppm) . Long term exposure to these waste products can and will stunt your fish, ie they will not grow at a steady rate and may never reach full grown size, young clown loach are very vunerable to stunting and water quality.

So yea its ok saying your fish will take many years to reach that size, but the fact of the matter is, you will eventually stunt them and they will never reach their potential size.

For a tank, if you have room and not the finance, have a look on ebay. aquabid for cheap tanks, they do come about. I was in a panic for my lot when I couldn't afford the 6ft I had planned, I managed to get a 5x2x1.5 tank for £50 that a guy near me wanted rid of asap, which Im guessing is around $100-130 depending on the exchange rate. Listing ads for tanks in fish shops is also a successful option :)

Ashleigh

Ashleigh

nckissfan

Post by nckissfan » Fri May 23, 2008 8:40 am

thanks for your thoughts. I am really discouraged now.