clown loach food

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

abaigael04

clown loach food

Post by abaigael04 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:59 am

Hi - I am new and I just had a quick question... can I feed my clowns boiled carrots? Or better yet - is there anything I can NOT feed them? I don't eat a huge variety of veggies, so it's not like I will be feeding them anything to crazy, but I thought it would be good to know JIC. I have tried banana, lettuce, potato and watermelon so far. I have a zuchinni I will try sometime this week. I also feed sinking shrimp pellets, frozen food (freshwater multi pack - has bloodworms, brine shrimp etc in it) flakes and tubifex worms (I don't think they actually get all of the floating food (flakes/tubifex).
Thanks!

Jade

Auntsally

Post by Auntsally » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi and welcome. If it helps, my clowns LUV peas as an additional treat. If you put a few frozen peas in a dish with a little water and microwave for a minute or two, then pop the skins off before putting them into the tank they love them Good football practice for them too! Or should that be noseball?

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi Abigael,

My clowns enjoy frozen shrimp that have been blanched for a minute in boiling water, then chopped up and thrown in for them...also cantaloupe, honeydew melon, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash (all of those should be skinned and blanched for a min to kill any bacteria and soften it up just a bit). I find it's also easier to try and get the seeds out of anything before I put it in the tank, as they wind up in the filter uptakes. Others here have fed broccoli...mine don't seem to like it, but yours might. Mine also LOVE bok choy, well rinsed and blanched for 30 seconds.

The best way I've found to get veggies to sink is to stick a stainless steel spoon through them and drop in.

Welcome to LOL- and feel free to post pics! We love to see other people's tanks! :D

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Thank you - I might post some pics once I have my 125 up and running and planted, but for now... Well I don't even have it! (I will in 2 weeks or so) so... no pics for now. I did try and get some pics of my loaches eating the watermelon, but they are fuzzy... :( . I never would have thought about bok choy! I love broccoli, so maybe I'll give that a go and cantaloupe... I just LOVE these little guys - my new favorite fish!

Jade

Pilze

Post by Pilze » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:42 pm

Mine go nuts over organic red leaf lettuce. I take a small piece, roll it up tightly and put it on a fork. They go nuts.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:02 pm

I'll have to try the red leaf lettuce, but I would put that on a spoon also. I have a fat, large Pleco in my loach tank that likes to hurl himself on whatever food gets dropped in- I'd be terrified that he'd skewer himself! :roll:

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss