New tank - some thoughts!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Johanski

New tank - some thoughts!

Post by Johanski » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi everyone, first time here. Have been trolling around here for quite a while looking at everyone's beautiful loaches.

Now I'd like to have some of your thoughts about my current project:

It's a 345 ish Liter tank (91.2 gallon), which measures : 138 cm long, 61cm deep and quite narrow, 41 cm.

My thoughts are to have 7 ish clown loaches, starting out with very small ones (3-5 cm), I do realize they will outgrow my tank, but that's not in a few years still so. These fish are the reason I started this project, they're so awesome! But if you think they wouldn't work at all, what would be the other "loach choice"?

3x Crossocheilus oblongus, don't know the english common name for them, sorry :oops:

and around 15-20 tiger barbs.

Will this work out? And do you have any ideas how to decorate such a "tall" aquarium? What plants etc.? I do have 3 big roots going in, covering almost half the aquarium lenght, and I think it'll look awesome. But I still have NO idea what plants that would look good in it.

I'll ofcourse upload pictures when I'm getting started. I have the tank already, but awaiting the bench which has been delayed for 3 weeks due to the odd measurements of my tank.

Regards
Johan

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Bumping up, sorry :oops: just wanna try my luck again :wink:

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:06 am

hello Johanski and welcome

i am not good at plants and loaches. i have found java fern and java moss to be safe with my yoyos, everything else has failed or been destroyed. a big vallis species would look nice, i think, that is if the loaches dont wreck it.

the narrowness of your tank could cause you problems with the clowns in the future, but so as long as know you really can have a bigger thank in the future, it will probably be OK.

yoyos and kubotai are both very pretty, and rostrata, and they are well behaved too. Striata are great and will stay smaller

i hope it all goes well for you :D

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks for your answer. I've actually changed my plans and I'm going with a school of Kubotai instead of the clowns. A few days back I started my tank, today I added 10 tiger barbs to it.

It's supposed to have an asian feel to it, I know the plants look kinda weak atm but i only put them down a few days back so ^^ Also adding more, thicker bamboo in the right corner.

Do tell me what you think, I'm not very good at decorating but I did my best :roll:

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm

WOAH :shock: :shock: Sorry about the huge photos :oops:

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Very Nice tank. Looks like the asian set-up that is in a book I have. You have plenty of plants. They'll probably fill that tank in no time.

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Looks very nice. I'll go home and look at my 90 gal tank sitting dry and cry a little. Nice pics.

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks, thanks!

I added 10 tiger barbs today, and god they were stressed out in the start, eventhough I did it right ( I think ):

Put the bag they were in into the water, after about 10 minutes i added some aquarium water to the bag, and did that 3 times with 5 minutes in between. After that I poured the water through a landing net, then I let the fish out in the tank, let the light remain off for 30 minutes and then light it.

After a few hours they stopped being stressed, and they then realized they're the only fish in the tank, so they started fighting about the territory. Two of them went under a root and "kissed" and swimmed around in circles, changing colours. Hillarious fishes!! :lol: :lol:

I can't wait til next month when I get to add my Kubotais :oops:

More pictures tomorrow, if the fish let me (They're so quick! :shock: )

Regards
Johan

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:34 pm

I love that bamboo, and that flat piece of bamboo is fantastic. :) Really nice tank. Hope your fish settle in well.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:21 pm

wow, that is a beautifull tank. please can you give us more pictures as it develops?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Where are you from?

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Welcome, Johan- your tank is beautiful! 8)

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:23 am

Thank you all!

Ofcourse I will give more pictures as it develops, for the moment I just hope my plants will grow and become nice.

The lights I use is:

2x 40w aqua-glo with reflectors on both.
2x 35w Hallogen spotlights.

And I also use EasyLife's Easycarbo / profito.

Today is day two with my tigerbarbs, they're alot safer and all are swimming around. They even divide over the tank, probably because they're the only fish there. Occasionally they do form groups though :)

Can't wait til' there's more fish in there to see how they group up nicely.

I'm from Sweden btw :)

Regards
Johan

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:58 am

I got a decent shot of one of my tigerbarbs, it's got some nice colouration just after the fight with the other big one ;)

Also took a picture a few days ago when my malaysian burrowing snail thingies had a blast.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

EDIT:

New, better sized photos on next page so I remove these.
Last edited by Johanski on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:18 am

Johanski wrote:I got a decent shot of one of my tigerbarbs, it's got some nice colouration just after the fight with the other big one ;)

Also took a picture a few days ago when my malaysian burrowing snail thingies had a blast.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

The pics are red Xs for me. Must be a bad link.