New tank - some thoughts!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:13 pm

Cool, thanks!

I'm getting 7, sounds about alright in my ears ;)

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:30 pm

7 is a great number to get, they should settle down well.
you'll see a few mini fights over the next few weeks until they've sorted out where they come in the line for dominance but iv'e never seen any damage done.

mick
ps, when they have these fights the colour drains away they look grey.

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Yea I've read about that, thanks anyway though, then I don't have to worry!

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 am

Well, I rescaped my tank and I'm actually quite pleased. Though, my girlfriend went away visiting her parents and took her camera with her so shamefully I had to take a pic with my mobile phone, but you can see the layout pretty well anyway. I'll upload better pics in a week, also some close ups on my new kubotai arriving monday.

Enjoy!

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:18 pm

I got my Botias, after adapting them to the water and having the lights off for some time, I turned the lights on and started filming them with my webcamera. Then I noticed, fuck? One of them is a botia Almorrhae (Spelling?).

Why I didn't notice:

The LFS had his kubotais in one tank, then apparently a "kubotai" jumped over to the tank next to the kubotai tank because he got scared when he was re-decorating. He left him there because he didn't wanna stress him further. And now when I went to buy them the lonely one was hiding. I trusted my fish handler, he's a great guy, but I'm fairly certain one of the botias I have in my tank is NOT a kubotai.

Please help me be certain of this, I know the quality aint great, but you can probably tell them apart.

Cheers

http://s532.photobucket.com/albums/ee33 ... Mytank.flv

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:06 pm

No thoughts? :(

Anyways, I've concluded that it's a yoyo loach. It's alot more active than the kubotais and it's digging like crazy, messing my tank up! :evil:

I kinda like the little fellow, will it be OK for him to stay with 7 kubotais, 15 barbs and 5 c. oblungus? I mean, will he feel lonely, or is it okay for him to be the only yoyo in the tank?

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Sorry about the spam, and sorry about the poor quality the last video was in, could barely see the fish, so I made another one.

Here you can clearly see the patterns of my botias, the first one is a yoyo isnt it?!

A bit better quality movie, it wont take long to load:

http://s532.photobucket.com/albums/ee33 ... better.flv

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:41 pm

yup i reckon your right on the ID bud, the kubs are a well marked group as well.
how big are the kubs btw?, i know they are'nt tiny ones as the markings are really coming out on them.

mick

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. I'd say they're about 3 inches or so, I'm not too sure. The yoyo is the same size. Would it be better for me to return it to the store and only get Kubotais, or can it be happy anyway?

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:00 am

i'd leave it in the tank now bud, it's only going to stress the fish out again.
the kubs can handle almorhae.

mick
btw nice sized fish to getbud.

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:33 am

Okay cool, I'll keep him then! Today I'm gonna see how willing they are to battle the barbs for food, it'll be fun to see :)

Thanks for your help mate.

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:17 pm

After I have been watching the loaches behaviour all day I've decided I really need more yoyo loaches! He's so much more active than the kubotais.

Now to the question:

I'm thinking 7 kubotais, 4 yoyos. Will that work?

So, 15 tiger barbs, 5 c. oblungus, 4 yoyos, 7 kubotais in a 93 Gallon tank with a Fluval 405 External filter. Will it be overloaded with fish?

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:06 pm

New pictures! Finally got a decent camera tho the shots didn't turn out that well. Water is kinda brown coloured by my mangrove roots, but water change is tomorrow, usually is clearer by then so I'll upload some more!

Johanski

Post by Johanski » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Got some more pics. First off is a botia almorhae in my bamboo, it seems to like it ;)

Second one is of a really skinny Botia Kubotai I got, I only got it two days ago so I'm still waiting for it to fatten up. It doesn't look too good, not that it looks too bad on the photo but it's worse :(

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:14 pm

Looking very nice, the loaches seem to have settled in well, especially the almorhae in that bamboo :) . Im sure the kubs will look 100 times better once they get a few good meals into them-its a pity pet stores don't realise this :roll:

Ashleigh