are these loaches good for snakeheads?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tina

are these loaches good for snakeheads?

Post by tina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:28 am

hello ppl....just wondering what loach this is?
im gonna feed them to my snakeheades...just wanted to knw if its good for my snakeheads...coz a few ppl said these loaches were unhealthy..
comments?

tina

Post by tina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:35 am

anyone?
please?fast

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:37 am

Sorry Tina, but I don't think you're going to find anyone here recommending you to use any kind of loaches as feeders. You might find yourself a snakehead forum and ask there.

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:42 am

Is this a joke? A wind up??
Don't feed them, the consequences will be devastating!. Find them a good home instead please.

tina

Post by tina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:42 am

no they are not feeder fishes....a frnd of mine forcefully gave them to me as he was going back to his country....i have around 300 of these fishes

tina

Post by tina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:45 am

plaalye wrote:Is this a joke? A wind up??
Don't feed them, the consequences will be devastating!. Find them a good home instead please.
like? will my snakeheads die?
im worried coz my red tail snakehead couple are just around 12 cms....and these loaches are around 5-6

why would this be a joke? i tried giving them away but no one would take them

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:56 am

I am certain your snakeheads will die.

Do not feed these fish to your snakeheads. Find a local fish store to bring them to, I am sure they will take them off your hands and might even pay you for them.

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:57 am

Tina,

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a site for people who LOVE CARING FOR loaches. I find it strange that you would think a question like that would go down ok here. I'd suggest trying to rehome them again, advertise if necessary.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

tina

Post by tina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:08 am

Emma Turner wrote:Tina,

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a site for people who LOVE CARING FOR loaches. I find it strange that you would think a question like that would go down ok here. I'd suggest trying to rehome them again, advertise if necessary.

Emma
emma thx...i knw this is a loaches loving forum but dont get me wrong,i searched the forum and the only loaches popular here are those wide mouth bottom cleaning fishes....i hardly saw a couple of topics with whateva type of these loaches are...and i love those wide mouth loaches too...i have a tank full of them in which they breed..alltough wen they become overcrowded i feed a dozen of so to keep thepopulation in check or give them away if anyone wants...same wid all the other fish i have like guppies or goldfishes...i dont make videos of my snakeheads ripping these fishes apart...and i dont do it for fun...its nature's course..
sorry if i offended this forum...i thought fans of peacefull fiush like loaches might like other fish too
tariesindanrie wrote:I am certain your snakeheads will die.

Do not feed these fish to your snakeheads. Find a local fish store to bring them to, I am sure they will take them off your hands and might even pay you for them.

Kate
thx for the advise,allready tried that...took a fish to the market and they are offering me 2 USD for the 200 fishes....i wouldnt bother carrying all 200 to the market for 2 bucks...

and why would my snakeheads die? will u please elaborate?

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:36 am

Yes Tina, your snakeheads will die. As will you and I and all of my cherished loaches at some point. It was a comprehensive statement.

Once again, you will NOT find anyone here who is going to tell you to feed loaches to another fish.

Kate

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:41 am

Where do you live? Maybe someone on the forum is local to you and would help you rehome them.

Fish carry parasites and illnesses, and could infect your fish. It is always better to eat food prepared food rather than live (unless you grow your own). The fish also have spikes in their eyes they use to slash during fights.

Many of us have predatory fish. We discuss them in the freshwater area of this forum. None of us would consider feeding beloved loaches to them. And many of us ween our predators off live fish because it is so dangerous for our fish. I feed my bichir frozen silversides. These fish are specifically grown to feed to predators and are free of parasites.

You will not find a single species on this site that someone doesn't love. I couldn't bare to look at your pictures, but took a peak and it looks like Dojos, which are my personal favorite. I call them my puppies. I have 10 -- I can't bare to see them at the fishstore. I love them -- they feed from my fingers, whisker me when I am cleaning their tank. They are very oriented to me, and follow me in the tank. They sell for $4-15 each in the US. You need to find an ornamental fish distributer and make some money. (I have feeling you found a person who would buy them for human consumption -- which is why they are so cheap.)

tina

Post by tina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:42 am

whateva...thx for helping anyways

im gonna feed a few to my snakeheads....i enquired abt these at a snakehead forum and seems like the snakeheads wont die unless the loaches are infected...which cannot be coz they were wid my frnd for 2 years..
cheers

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:47 am

I don't know why you asked if you don't take any of the recommendations. Very sad for us.

tina

Post by tina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:07 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:Where do you live? Maybe someone on the forum is local to you and would help you rehome them.

Fish carry parasites and illnesses, and could infect your fish. It is always better to eat food prepared food rather than live (unless you grow your own). The fish also have spikes in their eyes they use to slash during fights.

Many of us have predatory fish. We discuss them in the freshwater area of this forum. None of us would consider feeding beloved loaches to them. And many of us ween our predators off live fish because it is so dangerous for our fish. I feed my bichir frozen silversides. These fish are specifically grown to feed to predators and are free of parasites.

You will not find a single species on this site that someone doesn't love. I couldn't bare to look at your pictures, but took a peak and it looks like Dojos, which are my personal favorite. I call them my puppies. I have 10 -- I can't bare to see them at the fishstore. I love them -- they feed from my fingers, whisker me when I am cleaning their tank. They are very oriented to me, and follow me in the tank. They sell for $4-15 each in the US. You need to find an ornamental fish distributer and make some money. (I have feeling you found a person who would buy them for human consumption -- which is why they are so cheap.)
hey i didnt read ur post befo posting mine....i just read it...
well honestly as i said,i dont do it for fun...i tried feeding my snakehead babies chicken meat finely grinded or even a big peice...they just wont accept it...i gave them frozen shrimps...they were in the tank for a couple days without being eaten...hell the snakeheads wont even eat live tubifex worms....so it just eats live food...
and i went to the biggest fishmarket in shanghai....same place i brought my snakeheads....i live here but im a UK citizen..
suggestions?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:29 pm

It does take a while to switch predators to non-live food. Some people have tricked their fish by moving the food in the flow of the filter or the powerhead. Predators don't need to eat everyday, so I would wait a few days, and then feed the frozen food. My bichir only gets fish every three or four days. I understand you need to feed your fish; its just for people like us, who love Dojos it is a sad thing.

Dojos are consumed by people, which is why I am sure you were given such a low price quote.

There are members in China, so maybe they can help you rehome these fish. I would look into the international ornamental fish trade. This a super commonly imported fish.