a few questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

abaigael04

a few questions

Post by abaigael04 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Sorry in advance for the length! I wanted to ask if my clowns look healthy - I am not sure if they have that deep golden color. I got them maybe a month ago (I have 4, will be adding 3 more this weekend), and just got my 125 gal set up for them. As some background I feed - some frozen food (right now I have mysis shrimp and bloodworms), then randomly - freeze dried tubifex worms, sinking shrimp pellets, micro wafers, algae wafers, fruit - banana, watermelon, cantaloupe veggie - potato, broccoli lettuce have some summer squash and zucchini will try soon. And a multitude of MTS! So - I try to feeda good variety of foods! My water is good. (ammo - 0 Ites- 0 Ates - 5 or lower) Also in one of the pics you can see one of my clowns has a very dark body - he has always been like this he is also the smallest. He isn't sick, I have just never seen a clown with such a dark body? apologies for the quality of my pictures - I seem to have misplaced my digital camera while moving (a month ago!) and so these were taken with my phone. I love these little (for now!) guys and want to make sure they are healthy! As you can see they are also taking their toll on my Amazon sword.... All my other fish are nice and healthy, but it seems some clowns have a much more "golden" body than mine, or is it an age thing? none of mine are more than 2 inches and that is the largest one!

abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:15 pm

sorry - I obviously don't know how to post pictures, either!

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Hey there- all you need to do is go back to your Photobucket acct, open your album, and under each of your pictures you should see 3 options- Direct Link, HTML Code and IMG Code. Just click on 'IMG' and you'll see a brief message that says 'copied'- then you just click again in the Loach Forum where you'd like the pic to appear :wink:

Cant wait to see 'em!

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:44 pm

;)

Ashleigh

abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:46 pm

thank you - it did say copy, but then I pasted it onto my post! :D I'll figure out how to use a computer one day!

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm

No problem. One of my kids taught me to do it when he was about 12. I'd never have figured it out on my own!

Nice looking clowns :D

Hard to tell specifics from your pics, but they look fine to me. Clowns tend to vary a little bit in coloration, and your dark one doesn't look ill, he's just dark. I don't have a dark one myself, but I've seen a lot of pics here and lots of folks have them. There's a great article right here on LOL related to coloration and markings - the golden color as well as the hue of the 'blackness' of the black parts can vary quite a lot, shape of the bands, etc
http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-l ... variations

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:14 pm

tariesindanrie wrote:No problem. One of my kids taught me to do it when he was about 12. I'd never have figured it out on my own!

Nice looking clowns :D

Hard to tell specifics from your pics, but they look fine to me. Clowns tend to vary a little bit in coloration, and your dark one doesn't look ill, he's just dark. I don't have a dark one myself, but I've seen a lot of pics here and lots of folks have them. There's a great article right here on LOL related to coloration and markings - the golden color as well as the hue of the 'blackness' of the black parts can vary quite a lot, shape of the bands, etc
http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-l ... variations

Kate
Nice article. Rather timely for me, but I have a question. I just picked up 3 2" clowns about 3 weeks ago. I have been watching them real close everyday. Today I was kind of freaked out because their color changed on me. For some reason today they seem a darker shade of red. In fact, all three have a somewhat darker red area just tailward of the eyes. In addition, they each have a darkish red line along the lateral line. They both fed well and were very active and playful at and after dinner. Maybe they will look different tomorrow. Interesting stuff.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:18 am

Oilhands, are you possibly seeing redness in the area of the gills? Are you able to post a pic of them?

Kate

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:26 pm

tariesindanrie wrote:Oilhands, are you possibly seeing redness in the area of the gills? Are you able to post a pic of them?

Kate
I can't take a pic as my camara fails Aquarium Photography 101. I looked them over real close this morning and the lateral line redness isn't there, but the red patch is still there. Upon thinking about it and trying to remember it most likely is in the area of the gills. Perhaps I'm just seeing through the translucent skin and seeing their internal organs full of blood. In that case this would be a non-issue right?

I've had my yo-yo loaches "grey out" before so I'm used to changes in color, but changes in transparency are something new.

Thanks.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Oilhands- it's tough to tell without a pic, but if they seem to be behaving normally, water parameters are good, and aren't showing obvious signs of illness (such as flashing against gravel or decorations in the tank, or hanging near the surface, gasping breathing, etc), I'd say that all is likely well.

That said, I know that 'normal' clown behavior runs a pretty large and bizarre spectrum- lets just say that if they are doing what they've always done in good health, it's a pretty good bet that they are still healthy!

Kate