Black Kuhli Loach changing color

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Uselessmidget

Black Kuhli Loach changing color

Post by Uselessmidget » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:20 am

Hi everyone, I have 2 kuhli loachs that have for the last 2 months been alone in a 10 gallon tank, They both started out black. But one changed to white after about a week. Then a bright red, and back and forth from black white red, sometimes it changes within half an hour. Other times it will stay a color for days. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'll be collecting pictures for the next few days.

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:46 am

Hi

Like a lot of fish, Coolies can change their colour depending on mood, but usually associated with light or stress levels. In my experience it is unusual for them to be changing this drastically and this often.
What lighting are you using and how long? What temperature is your water etc?
Lord Foul The Despiser, Lord of the Flies, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles, Satan, Iblis, Samael, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred, Azazel, Anubis, Pluto, Hades, etc

Uselessmidget

Post by Uselessmidget » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 pm

The.Dark.One wrote:Hi

Like a lot of fish, Coolies can change their colour depending on mood, but usually associated with light or stress levels. In my experience it is unusual for them to be changing this drastically and this often.
What lighting are you using and how long? What temperature is your water etc?

the lighting is a 15w aquarium lamp. the tempature is 73 but one thing is light hours where messed up, i dont have a timer on the lights yet, i turn it on and off

Mark Janssen

Post by Mark Janssen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 pm

never seen that behaviour before or heard of it, that kuhlii's change that fast...
my loache site

7 Botia histronica's & a couple of sid's/Kuhli's

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:15 pm

Perhaps they should be kept at a little higher temp, minumim 77. How long do you keep the lights on? Make sure when you turn the lights on that you let them get acclimatised to the room light; dont just turn the light on when the room has been in darkness.

Other than that I'm stumped. Pics on their way soon?
Lord Foul The Despiser, Lord of the Flies, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles, Satan, Iblis, Samael, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred, Azazel, Anubis, Pluto, Hades, etc