Golden Weather Loaches Spawning!?! (I Think)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

emily.citraro

Golden Weather Loaches Spawning!?! (I Think)

Post by emily.citraro » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:35 pm

This morning as I was leaving for work I noticed that the golden loaches were behaving very oddly - shadowing each, and periodically intertwining over the roots of the water hyacinth. But I had to go to work. When I got here, I found I didn't have my login right to let people know that I have a cam running! If you see anything please take a screen shot! I am trying to look in as much as possible, given that I am leaving for vacation tomorrow! How do the fish always know?

Anyway, I just transferred all 5 of my weather loaches (3 plain, one of which is also full of eggs, and 2 golden) to a new 39 gal tank with lots of plants, including the water hyacinth at the top. That was last Tuesday, so now, a week later, they seem to be laying eggs in it! See if you see anything. I don't have further info, other than that I don't heat the tank, and I have an inside filter with bio-media which I switched from the other tank.

We have a minimal internet connection, so I hope we can handle a few people watching:

http://63.196.212.27:91/

emily.citraro

click through log-in stuff- not password

Post by emily.citraro » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:19 pm

to see the cam, just click through the windows, there is no password or anything (or click ok)

emily.citraro

further description

Post by emily.citraro » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:44 pm

She is spending a lot of time up at the top in the water hyacinth roots, where I saw them earlier - they are apparently still trying but it isn't so fast a connection that the camera is catching it - I called my boyfriend at home to look. I will post pics from a few days ago of them.

As I said, they were intertwining (link your index fingers together - like that) and spraying eggs and milt all over the place, but the eggs didn't appear sticky, which I have seen described. I have no idea if they then were eating them. They looked very very tiny - 1/4 of a pinhead size! - and possibly some fell deep into the roots and could have been fertile - they were nearly transparent, and I was standing more than 5 feet away to keep from bothering them too much. I will see if I can get any pics later tonight.

Would it make sense to remove the plants? I still have a 10 gal set up and running that I could drop the hyacinths into tonight, and see if anything appears when I get home next week.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi Emily,

Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to view the link you provided, but if the weather loaches have spawned, I would suggest either carefully removing the adults from the tank (they will predate on the eggs) or filling another small tank with water from the main tank and very carefully netting out the plantful of eggs and placing it into this separate tank. You should be able to save quite a number of eggs this way. Run a small air driven sponge filter on the tank containing the eggs, as they could get drawn in to anything more powerful. Keep us updated of any developments, and of course, still photographs would be most welcome, as would details of your water parameters.

Good luck!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Is that a live feed of your tank?
heh cool, Everybody should have a camera broadcasting their tank.

The loach is very active from what I can see.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:51 am

i couldnt get the link to the camera to work either :(

good luck with your eggs. hopefully you will have babies soon. keep us informed. we love news like this