Saw something that made me sick today.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

paperdragon

Saw something that made me sick today.

Post by paperdragon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm

I was shopping with my mom at walmart today and we stopped to look at the fish tanks. When we got over there my mom said "look at those cute little fish there, they look like little tigers." I looked over and it was two tanks packed full of tiny clown loaches about 1 1/2" long, no info on the tank other than temperature requirements, and one of the tanks had a dead one that looked like it had been there a while. In fact, half the tanks in the store had dead fish and all of them were filthy.

I know this is the sort of thing that most people are finding in walmart tanks, but up until the last few months the department manager had been pretty good about keeping the tanks looking good, so it just came as a shock to see those poor little loaches being kept in such bad conditions.

On a more happy note, I just got my little dojos moved to into their new 75g tank today. They seem pretty happy.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:46 pm

I never look at the fish at Walmart for this reason. I'd probably end up saving them if I did.

tattooedgemini

Post by tattooedgemini » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:17 pm

last time i went to walmart, which was a while ago, the guy that was working there sold some lady 2 convict ciclids and 2 angelfish along with a 1 gallon betta tank for them to go in. i couldn't beleive it. i tried to talk the lady out of it but there was no reasoning with her... it's sad really the way people treat their fish. i'd like to think it is only because they are ignorant but some just don't care. maybe at your walmart they were hiring new staff or something.
i am super mom!...to the kids and the fish...lol

paperdragon

Post by paperdragon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:52 pm

No, it wasn't new staff. I saw the department manager standing near the tanks. I should have had a good talk with him about the condition of those tanks, but I wasn't feeling well... plus the guy kinda gives me the creeps for some reason I can't quite explain. :oops: