yoyo loaches and clown loaches.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Yes, where abouts are you located? This may help in source either more B. almorhae or finding it a suitable home...

Also, I'd love to see photos of a 52 clown tank. That's a big lot of clowns!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

J@CKSON

Post by J@CKSON » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Thank you both :)

I will check out the site :)

I am located in Toronto Canada :) So we are sort of neighbors

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi there,

I am one of people who has managed to keep Clowns (5 -- always trying to build to build my shoal, but the stock is so weak) and Yoyos (7) successfully. I consider myself lucky and not the norm.

They are mixed with B. striata (4), B. dario (2 --can't find more), and two tigers that definitely should not be compatible, but their aggression has never surfaced. When the tigers get big enough not to get eaten, they will join my bichir.

Jackson, the more time you spend here, you will find Emma is the sweetest, most patient moderator on the Internet. She is tirelessly passionate about loaches and their care. If you need to grow up some Yoyos to add to your single guy, buy a small additional tank. Then you have a space as a hospital or Q-tank in the future. I picked up two tiny (1" and wafer thin) clowns and they are growing out in a Q-tank and also being treated for parasites (just in case).

We are all eagerly waiting for pictures.

J@CKSON

Post by J@CKSON » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:21 pm

I wish I could set up a new tank for samll ones but iI have 6 large tanks going and no space for any other growouts. I was really worried so I made some calls I found 2 x 4''ers that werer just traded in at my buddies place I will pick them up for now.

Is 3 OK for now?

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:02 pm

Jackson, 3 is much better than 1! ideally you should have more, but that will be better for now. Do you know Harold's fish store, somebody else from Toronto has mentioned it before, im afraid i dont know the actual name of the place or where it is located

it sounds like you have some interesting tanks. how about starting a new post and introducing yourself properly? tell us about your fish and tanks, and your areas of interest. a bit of background can sometimes help to make sure you dont feel attacted as a new member.

ey

Post by ey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Emma Turner wrote:There are plenty of people for who this combination has worked well, but in my experience the Yoyo's can be a bit feisty for clowns. When I tried this some years ago, the Yoyos really unsettled them (both were kept in large groups). You'd be better off adding more clowns to your group, in my opinion. :wink:

Emma
Sorry to interrupt the thread.

Hi Emma,

I only saw this post when browsing through the older threads after picking up 8 Yoyo loaches today.

By feisty, do you mean to the extent it will cause discomfort for the clowns? I have a large school of 18 clowns, hopefully the 8 yoyos will leave the clowns alone.

But sounds like even when you ket large groups of both, the yoyos were still feisty to your clowns - did you remove the yoyos to another tank then? I'll see over the next week for their behaviour.

Velvetmaggot

Re:

Post by Velvetmaggot » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:16 am

J@CKSON wrote:
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:53 am
I keep 1 YOYO with 52 Clown loaches. I dont seem to have any problems. The YOYO is one of the group as well as the Senegal bichir I have with them. It is really funny to watch.
I’m very late to reply, but I gotta say…I have a yo-yo named “Bananas” whom doesn’t identify as a yo-yo. I’ve had him for about 5yrs. He was happiest sleeping in a pile of dojo loaches even with a large group of other yo-yo’s. I’d be saying the same about it being cruel to keep a lone yo-yo if I didn’t have my darling Bananas.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Re: yoyo loaches and clown loaches.

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:27 am

That's certainly unexpected. I wonder if I'll see anything like that with my future yoyos.
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)