Finally kuhlies.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lf11casey

Finally kuhlies.

Post by lf11casey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm so excited I finally got some kuhlies after waiting a year.
Had to go to the lfs to try to find some meds for a fish, one of my platys has dropsy, pooh. So I had to look at the fish of course. Before I even got to the fish section the owner came up and said he had kuhlies, he knows how much I've wanted some. Anyway, of course I'm like show me. They are oblongas and there were only 2, they were a trade in. So I snapped them up, and now they're mine :twisted: . The owner is going to try to order some more when the weather cools a little, but he hasn't had much luck with them staying alive in the past. So hopefully I can get companions for these 2 in the future.
Right know the beauties are in a 10 gl that is half sand half gravel. I have 2 sponge filters on the tank. It's planted and has a nice piece of dritwood with java moss attached. Does this setup sound ok?
They seem in excellent condition. They are both 3'' can't tell what the sexes are, wait to see if either fill with eggs in future or not. I will get some pics when they have settled in some. I'm so happy.
Casey
Water is the substance from which life is born. (Mortal Kombat)
For beneath the surface, lies the future. (SeaQuest DSV)

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:50 am

Congrats on the acquisitions! The store that I frequent only gets oblonga's in now and that is only once in a great while, so I can sympathize.

From some of the postings I have read here, that tank might be on the short side. I used to keep pangio kuhli's & pangio oblonga in a 10 gallon with mixed results.

Good luck with the new additions and don't forget to post pics asap!

Mike
Kuhli Loaches are like Pringles... you can't have just one!

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:37 pm

I was gifted with a 20 long, yippy. So my kuhlies will have a bigger home now. I'm going to be gone for 2 wks starting this Saturday. When I get back I will set up the tank. Just a couple questions though.
I'm going to put a sponge filter in the tank that the kuhlies are currently in. What would be a good period to wait, for bacteria to colonize sponge, before moving sponge to 20?
Also once I have the 20 up and running, going to add some guppies to keep bacteria alive, how long should I wait to put kuhlies in tank? I just want to make sure the 20 is matured enough for them.
Casey

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:21 pm

After this and that happening I finally got the 20gl long for the kuhlies set up yesterday, well partially, needs more plants. So today I moved the guppies and their filter to the 20gl. I figure the tank will end up going through a mini cycle, but my question is how long after the cycle should I wait to move the kuhlies? Also my LFS is going to try and order me 4 more next week along with some other species too. Wether or not they all make it who knows. Anyway I'll have a total of 6 kuhlies and about 6 guppies, they're not fancy guppies, in the tank. Is this to many fish? Or would it be possible to squeeze in a couple more kuhlies?
Casey

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:03 pm

So nice you got those Pangios. :) Post pictures when you can. :)

04_si

Post by 04_si » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:23 am

can add more kuhlis for sure. they have a fairly small bioload.

i saw a picture earlier tonight someone had about 300 in a 55 gallon.... i think thats a little excessive

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 am

congrats on getting your hands on some, it's funny but in the UK we can usually go to the nearest fish shop and kuhlis will be there.
i forget about the size of the US in comparison to Britain.

good luck in getting some more.
mick

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 am

I have 6 kuhlis in a 20g long along with threadfin rainbows & galaxy rasboras, 4 of each I think. They've been in that tank for a couple years.

I have 2 more loaches in another tank I will add when I tear down their tank. Eventually I will move all to a 55g.

They love a dense group of java fern "windelov", in the other tank a floating Indian fern clump is favored.

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Ah good to know I can add a couple more if I want. My LFS is going to order the 4 kuhlies today if there available, so not much longer to wait, I hope.
Casey

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Nitrifying bacteria take about 3 weeks to colonize something new. They move in right away, but it takes them a while to really get settled in.
When you are thinking about moving fish around think also about moving bacteria with them.
Maximum bacteria grows on surfaces with maximum water flow, such as the filter media (all of it, not just the biological media). Bacteria also grow on all the other surfaces of a tank.

One way to divide a tank to make two tanks is to move the filter and half the fish to a new set up, and leave half the fish in the established tank, and add a new filter. When I say 'half the fish' I am specifically meaning half the bio-load: If you have a big fish and several small fish for example, then 'half the fish' might mean the big fish moves by himself and several small fish stay behind.

Another way to split a tank is to go ahead and split fish, equipment and decor however you want, add Tetra Safe Start or Dr. Tim's The One and Only to both tanks, then add new fish to both tanks. However many bacteria get moved or stay behind is just a boost to the population, and a full measure of one of the actual nitrifying bacteria added to the tanks makes up for any inequality.
If you have other healthy tanks running you can borrow some cycled media from them, too, to boost the bacteria population in whichever tank needs it.

"How long after..." to add fish:
If you add a lot of bacteria from any source, add fish right away so the bacteria does not starve back to a smaller population.
If you know there is not enough bacteria for even a few fish, then monitor and water change your way through a fish-in cycle, and add more fish slowly once that cycle is done.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Got my kuhlies yesterday. I had asked for 4 but my LFS ordered 6 in case some didn't make it, all of them did so I brought all 6 back with me. I was only charged $19, tax included, which I thought was a good deal.
They are in QT right now and I'm treating with Levamisole just in case. They do look healthy and they're active, and of course dive for cover when I come up to the tank. So no pics of them yet. I'll leave them in there for the next couple weeks before adding to the main tank with the other 2. Should 3 weeks be enough or should I wait a whole month? Should I do another Levamisole treatment in 3 weeks or just see how it goes? They are a little skinny at the moment, but don't know if that is from shipment or not. LFS said they had been going nuts and having a ball over black worms. Hope they like my frozen stuff or maybe the micro and grindal worms.
Since I couldn't get any pics of the kuhlies I took a couple pics of the tank they will eventually be going in. It's mostly hygro (3 different kinds), crypts and one anubias attached to some driftwood. I also have a some sand covered tubes in there for hiding in, you can see 2 of them in the front corners of the tank. Water is still a little tea colored from driftwood and I'll be picking up a better light next week, have my spare 20gl high light on it right now. I hope they like it.

Casey

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:53 pm

as said before in Uk we are lucky as kuli's are readily available i picked up 2 from a little fish shop today for a measly £1.05 each about 1/2 a us dollar had a right result as when i got them home the lady in the store had picked up a golden sucking loach with them lol so 3 loachs of sorts all for £2.10p lol what a great result tank looks fantastic
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:24 pm

Nice tank, Casey. Congrats. I quarantine for a month or longer if there are problems. I do like you, make it "homey" since they'll be there a while. Bare tanks to me are for sick fish not new but all either disposable or bleachable.

My kuhlis like most all food but never tried micro or grindal worms. I bet they love them.

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:45 pm

So far the Kuhlies are doing well. They are putting on weight and accepting sinking pellets. They actively move around the tank and search out any leftovers. A couple have decided they like the suction cups on the heater and will pile onto it. I will try to get a pic of it, it's kinda funny looking.
Casey

Stitch051707

Post by Stitch051707 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Hey. I am also in TN and have been looking for Kuhli Loaches for a while. Where are you in TN? I live in Middle TN. Email me if you would like Risika23@yahoo.com