The nose dance

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sue Tegland

The nose dance

Post by Sue Tegland » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:47 am

Hi! I am new here after lurking for several months and soaking up all I can from the forum and site. I had kept fish for 15 years before, gave it up after a move and kids arriving, but set up a new tank last October. In November, after it had cycled, I couldn't resist putting in some clowns. The LFS guy said my tank was fine for them--a 35gal hex. (I've certainly learned more about that since then...)
My clowns, Big Mama, and #s 2,3,and 4 going down in size, range from 4 inches to 2 inches. They all love to do the usual things, like piling together in their cave, and getting frenzied over food, etc. They have for mates 2 small albino angels and 2 neon rainbows and one danio.
I have 2 filters--one BioWheel, and Fluval submersed, and a bubble wand, and several live plants on a large bogwood which move around with the current.
Yesterday afternoon I noticed #3 hanging out nose down front and center of my tank. Didn't look distressed at gills or fins or color. just had his belly to the front and his nose pointed down. Big Mama checked on him a couple times and nudged him some, upon which he'd either stay or swim elsewhere. I promptly did a test strip and though everything was fine, changed about 5 gals of water and added some aquarium salt "just in case'/
Today, #3 has the whole gang doing the dance; they huddle and nudge, front and center, and Big Mama joins in too, but she's not as good at staying nose down very long. It was entertaining, but still I have to ask:: is this normal?
I turned lights off tonight and Bib Mama now has everyone corraled in their cave.
my hope is that the loaches are laughing

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Sue, welcome to LOL :D

With clowns, what looks abnormal is usually pretty normal for them. They could be showing off, trying to purposely freak you out, having a contest...who knows? You did all the right things, checking your water parameters, looking closely at them for signs of illness. The only thing I wouldn't do in the future, is put aquarium salt in. I know that some stores (PetSmart is a real salt pusher) advocate it for everything, right down to regular maintenance, but it isn't good for clowns. Don't panic, I'd just suggest a 40% water change for now.

You do realize you'll need a bigger tank if you're going to keep the gang- the sooner the better so they can reach their maximum potential 8)

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Welcome, Sue.

I can't add anything to Kate's response. Large water changes are needed each week, and ultimately a bigger tank for these growing fish. Kate nailed it.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Sue Tegland

Post by Sue Tegland » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for the reassurance. They looked happy and active this morning, so I guess that the new behavior is just for chuckles.
And a water change again never hurts, too, so thanks for the reminder. They obviously didn't need any 'therapeutic' salt.
my hope is that the loaches are laughing