Loaches with Rays and Arowana?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

squid

Loaches with Rays and Arowana?

Post by squid » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:37 am

I have juts been given 5 pieces 4-5 inch clown loaches by a friend. I placed them in a 300 gallon tank together with a community of 5 inch green arowanas, problem is tank is outdoors.
will it be better for them if i moved them indoors? into a 120 gallon tank with a piece of 12 inch arowana? also can they be tankmates with motoro?

I'm worried since my outdoor tank doesn't have a have a heater, i live in a tropical country , but its rainy season here now. tank temperature is 28 deg celcius? will they be better outdoors or indoors in my smaller tank.

also what would be nice hiding place for them to sleep in?

thanks.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Squid, welcome to LOL .

Those are some nice large tanks you have, and the temp should be fine. Do you have water movement in either tank? Clowns like a bit of a current, as they are river fish. Any idea what your water parameters are?

And- I'd think twice about housing the clowns with your arowanas. They could easily become dinner, even though they are about the same size. Arowanas can take out a low-flying bat in the wild. Even if the clowns are successful in avoiding being eaten, it makes for a really stressful environment, and stressed-out clowns tend to have stunted growth.

PVC tubing makes nice clown hiding spots. Rocks, driftwood and coconut shells work nicely also.

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

squid

Post by squid » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:00 am

tariesindanrie wrote:Hi Squid, welcome to LOL .

Those are some nice large tanks you have, and the temp should be fine. Do you have water movement in either tank? Clowns like a bit of a current, as they are river fish. Any idea what your water parameters are?

And- I'd think twice about housing the clowns with your arowanas. They could easily become dinner, even though they are about the same size. Arowanas can take out a low-flying bat in the wild. Even if the clowns are successful in avoiding being eaten, it makes for a really stressful environment, and stressed-out clowns tend to have stunted growth.

PVC tubing makes nice clown hiding spots. Rocks, driftwood and coconut shells work nicely also.

Kate
thanks :) i have powerheads in my tanks so there's some current :) also have lots of water surface agitation :)
my tanks ph is about 7.5 same as our tapwater.

how about housing clown loaches with goldfish?

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:06 am

Goldfish tend to like cooler water than clowns, but if you already have a tank with goldfish that are acclimated to around 28c, I don't see a problem with it. :)

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

squid

Post by squid » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:04 pm

tariesindanrie wrote:Goldfish tend to like cooler water than clowns, but if you already have a tank with goldfish that are acclimated to around 28c, I don't see a problem with it. :)

Kate
thanks kate :D

J@CKSON

Post by J@CKSON » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:53 pm

The problem with the Aro's and CL's is not that they will be eaten they will but most likley your Aro or Aro's that try and eat them meaning try and swallow them will have problem. Be it cut up moths or throats or even die from the CL getting stuck in its mouth/ throat.

I would not keep them with ray's because they might eat the slime coat off the ray or even try and nip at it's disc. Plus the ray's will out grow them really fast and you might have the same situation as above.

I personally feel keeping any fish but other goldfish with goldfsh is just a mistake. They are dirty and not a great COMM tank fish be it cool water or not. This is just MHO

Tanks sound great where are you going to put them?