What are these? **updated with new pics 17th Sept**

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Hello Markus and welcome here,

In the DATZ 02/07 is a pic of Yunnanilus cruciatus, in my eyes are Emmas loaches no Yunnanilus. The dorsalfin of the Y. cruciatus is more roundish, compared with Emmas fishes. If I look right, the dorsale of your loaches are "clean", Emmas have one row of little markings in their d-fin.

I tend more to Nemacheilus.

Bye,

Thomas

Markus Schulz

Post by Markus Schulz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi Thomas,

mhh `That`s intresting. Our(my Girlfriend`s loaches)are more "tigerstriped", the caudalspot is bigger.

But i`ll guess, that theY´re looking like Nemacheilus and swimming like Yunnanilus.

cheers Markus

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi Markus,

I would agree that your loaches are Yunnanilus cruciatus. What a great find! 8) As Thomas has pointed out, there are quite a few subtle differences between those and my loaches. Yours have the typical Yunnanilus shaped spine, and more of a rounded dorsal fin. They look identical to the Y. cruciatus featured in Serov/Nezdoliy/Pavlov's "The Freshwater Fishes of Central Vietnam" book.

Would love to see some photographs of the Y. cruciatus after they settled in to the aquarium, and would also be very interested to hear how they behave.

Best wishes,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:44 am

Emma Turner wrote:Would love to see some photographs of the Y. cruciatus after they settled in to the aquarium, and would also be very interested to hear how they behave.
I agree! :D

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 am

Two weeks on, here are some more pics. I must admit I am still confused as to what these are. They now spend a quite a bit more time hovering/swimming in mid water like Yunnanilus brevis do and which Schistura/Nemacheilus don't usually tend to do (at least not nearly so frequently). :?:

Emma

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 am

Very nice Emma! They certainly look like they are starting to take the typical Yunnanilus shape!

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:38 am

They're really handsome loaches, Em.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:28 pm

My supplier reckons these came from the Indawgyi Lake area.

Emma

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Emma Turner wrote:My supplier reckons these came from the Indawgyi Lake area.

Emma
Could that lead us to believe they are Yunnanilus?

Mike
A proud member of LOL since 1998

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:15 pm

I still don't think they are a Yunnanilus. In Yunnanilus the anterior nare has a short narrow tube whereas in these fish it is quite broad and long.
See nare in Emma's photo:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ph ... fullscreen

I was leaning towards a Nemacheilus (putaoensis or acuticephalus, but I don't think they are these now as some of their morphology doesnt match).

The closest I can find and I am reasonably certain on is Physoschistura rivulicola. Everything matches the description given in Kottelat's Indochinese Nemacheilines.
Lord Foul The Despiser, Lord of the Flies, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles, Satan, Iblis, Samael, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred, Azazel, Anubis, Pluto, Hades, etc

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:24 pm

The.Dark.One wrote:I still don't think they are a Yunnanilus. In Yunnanilus the anterior nare has a short narrow tube whereas in these fish it is quite broad and long.
See nare in Emma's photo:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ph ... fullscreen

I was leaning towards a Nemacheilus (putaoensis or acuticephalus, but I don't think they are these now as some of their morphology doesnt match).

The closest I can find and I am reasonably certain on is Physoschistura rivulicola. Everything matches the description given in Kottelat's Indochinese Nemacheilines.
I agree. They look more like a Nemacheilus type fish than Yunnanilus. Perhaps an elongated Schistura species. Its really difficult to tell unless you have some preserved specimens to take a good look at under a microscope, especially with so many species of Balitoridae resembling each other.

Mike
A proud member of LOL since 1998

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Anyone know of the Tuberoschistura......

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:51 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Anyone know of the Tuberoschistura......
Tuberoschistura have longer pectoral fins and more dorsal fin rays than these fish. If you read the colour and pattern description and morphology of Physoschistura rivulicola it matches these fish. Some of the more evenly striped ones also have a look of P. raoi. If Emma could get a high res close up of the mouth from underneath, and a of the lateral line this would confirm one way or another.
Lord Foul The Despiser, Lord of the Flies, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles, Satan, Iblis, Samael, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred, Azazel, Anubis, Pluto, Hades, etc

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:22 am

Many thanks, TDO. I will try my best for closer shots, but this is going to be a very difficult task as these don't stop moving!!! :lol:

Emma

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:15 pm

The.Dark.One has set me a very tricky task! Even in the confines of my smallest photo tank (which is very small) these loaches were still super active and were hard to photograph up close. Here is what I got, and I sent larger sized files of these (except for the crappy overhead shot) to TDO to see if they help him with ID:

Emma