clown loach home

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

skauwt

clown loach home

Post by skauwt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:38 pm

hi folks im scott ,
ive been lurking on this site for a while now and thought it was time to actually register :D
one thing i was wondering is whats the best type of home for a loach when i say home i mean like pipes ,caves and so on from posts ive read and images seen most seem to have rocks or pipes but has anyone got anything custom made from ceramic?
ive recently made a slate type tunnel system for my loaches but that wont last forever when they start to grow bigger granted it may be years before they grow too big for it but id rather be prepared for that now than later
id thought of custom made homes for them and i was wondering if anyone has had anything made from clay which they could show me for ideas
anything at all would be a great help :D

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:37 am

Welcome to Loaches Online, Scott. :D

Not ceramic, but.....if you are feeling really ambitious, you could always make yourself your own 'loach island' a la chefkeith: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=3548 8)

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:57 am

Hi Scott, welcome :D

I do have a (purchased) ceramic 'log' thing, which is about 18" long, 3.5" around. Made to look like a hollowed out piece with holes through in places...looked like the perfect hidey place for my clown babies. What I didn't know is that the thing has crevices inside it that the little buggers would wedge themselves into...one day when one went missing, I thoroughly searched the tank and saw him in the log. I thought he was stuck. I grabbed the 'log' out, ran to the sink, and gently took him out, then ran quickly back to the tank with the clown in my cupped hands. That's when I was introduced to the little ingrate's eye blades of death...I hadn't know about the sub-orbital spines or the nature of the little beasties hiding habits. The 'log' now resides in my tetra tank.

Long story short, I've learned a lot on LOL...not the least of which is that simpler tends to be better with these characters. Ceramic sounds great, someone else may be able to recommend safe clay, glazes, etc...but keep it smooth inside if you make them :lol:

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Auntsally

Post by Auntsally » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:12 am

I have found it wiser to have none of the ceramic etc. ornaments. I agree with tariesindanrie, keep it simple. I have largish stones, driftwood and root, plus two black plastic pipes which have Java fern roots attached to them. That's where the clowns prefer to be if they are nervous, or just want privacy! The Java disguises the pipes well and seems to survive the clowny attention quite well. Good luck.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:51 am

I prefer the natural look of rocks and driftwood. Also, a circular hole such as a pipe or flower pot cannot be made bigger, and just has to be removed as the fish grow, or else it is entirely possible for the fish to get stuck and die.
A pile of driftwood or rock can be rearranged and make several semi-enclosed areas for the fish to choose from. Good also for territorial fish that may be getting a little too aggressive. Change their territory and they often are calmer for a while.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

skauwt

Post by skauwt » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:13 pm

:D that tank in that link was a nice setup ,i was thinking more along the lines of fake looking tree trunks maybes a quater of a tree truck for example and roots made from ceramic ,id just make new ones as the fish grow i reckon there not that big at the moment the clay and glazes are no problems if you use food safe materials ...but that tank gave me ideas :lol: :lol:
instead of jumping in at the deep end.. why dont you try holding the hose that fills the pool first and go from there