Locating rare pangios

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Joe Khul

Locating rare pangios

Post by Joe Khul » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:56 am

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how I would go about obtaining some of the pangios located here. I have spoken with my local fish retailers and they claim they cant justify obtaining some of the non standard breeds do to the high mortality rate during and after shipment. Ideas? Advice?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Kuhli Loaches are like Pringles... you can't have just one!

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:00 am

Hi Mike,

If your local retailers can't or won't supply what you want, you might find it here www.franksaquarium.com

A little pricey with the shipping, but Frank's stock is always healthy, and he quarantines all of his loaches and pre-treats them to guard against 'skinny disease' and parasites. If you don't see what you're looking for, send him a note or call him. Since it's the dead of summer, you may have to wait for an order for a bit, since he won't ship when the weather is too hot or cold. Lots of good reviews from members here 8)

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Hello Mike,

I've found some interesting pangio between "standardpangios" All what you need are good eyes and the permit to catch the loaches with your own hands out of the tank....and of course some luck while catching. Normaly a dealer isn't happy if he had to catch one special pangio in a tank with 50 other... ;) :)

In this way I got one P. shelfordii, P. cuneovirgata and some other. Sometimes no rare species but with interesting markings like a yellow line on the back.

Good Luck

Thomas

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:33 pm

I again :)

A small Hint: If you are interested in P. doriae than take a closer look to the tanks with Black kuhliis (P. oblonga) inside. In many P. oblonga imports I've seen some P. doriae (not many, the "record" is 4). I know at least from two other aquarists who made the same experience.

Thomas

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 pm

I have found interesting Pangios in feeder tanks in the mega fish/pet stores. Got them for free too. I am hoping I found something interesting at my LFS today. Pictures soon. :)

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:08 am

Sorry for the delayed thanks, but... thanks!!

Thomas - Thanks for the hints!

Tanja - I will try to keep a look out.. now if only yhe mega stores around here had feeder tanks.... :? )

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks for the the hints. I was able to locate 3 unknown kuhli's in a batch of p. oblonga at my LFS. I got them for the same price as the p. oblonga since the clerk was happy that someone took them off their hands. I have some pictures that I need to clean up for posting, and should have them up soon. The color is deceptive in my pictures. They have gold irredesences to them

I believe I have them narrowed down to the two in this link.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ph ... 2.jpg/view

Will post pics soon.

Joe Kuhl

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:55 pm

I have found both of these mixed with P. oblonga and in with feeder fish. At Petsmart 2 of 5 "oblongas" were anguillaris or maybe doride sp?. :)