I thought it was pulchra...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

botiaboy

I thought it was pulchra...

Post by botiaboy » Wed May 31, 2006 6:04 pm

I have what I think is a sinobotia pulchra.However,it also looks like an s. longiventralis.How do you tell the difference?Are hey really just the same species?

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:55 pm

I always wanted a pulchra. do you have a pic? Where did you get it?
From the pics that I have seen, they look similar but I am not sure.
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/bo ... ralis.html
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_pulchra.html
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:18 pm

It is often very difficult to tell the sinobotias and even some of the leptobotias apart. They are often sold under the wrong names, too.
Regardless, most tend to be similar in requirements and disposition.
They like cool(68-78F), clean, well oxygenated water with some current flow. They also tend to be a bit shy and need plenty of hiding places. Bloodworms and brine shrimp are favorite foods. Be sure that they can't swim up the filter outlet, because if they can...they will. They seem to like to go upstream :wink:
They tend to have a dispostion similar to the true or Indian botias. That is to say they get along with other fish, but can be a little fiesty at times, but nothing serious.

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:55 am

I had a lone specimen B. longiventralis a few years ago. Longiventralis tends to be fuller bodied than pulchra and tends to remain smaller in total length. It resembles pulchra in several ways however it has far fewer alternating yellow bands and tends to have a characteristic red coloration near the snout.

Mike

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:24 pm

My mom got it for me for my birthday because she knew I loved my clown loach(I now have 3) and my yoyo loach.Unfortunately,the pet store she purchased it at went out of business a few months ago.I'm not sure if its s. pulchra or s. longiventralis.I have a few pictures.(I didn't know about here when I posted this)
http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name= ... =sinobotia[/img]
His name is Sneakers.I had to tear the tank apart to get him in the net so I could take the picture!

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:06 pm

I am almost entirely sure that what you have is a Sinibotia longiventralis.
Definetly too different in physical characteristics from a S. pulchra to be that.

Mike