New Medicines for fishies!!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Erik

New Medicines for fishies!!

Post by Erik » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:38 pm

Over the last two days I found some new fish meds.
Hikari which makes PrazPro also has a metrondizole med and antibiotic.
Big Als has some Gel food meds in get this: ampicillan, erythromycin, neomycin, penicillan, tetracyline and a combo of (Metronidazole, Flubenol and Praziquantel.) !!
Check them out out online they are made by Aquarium products are the The Gel-Tek line.
Cheers
Erik

JD

Post by JD » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:50 am

Great find Erik. I usually do not medicate my tanks and haven’t in years. But back a long time ago when I did have a need for medication, I almost always used medicated foods. Since then it is near impossible to find. Tetra used to make two foods, one for bacterial infections and one for Parisitic. I found them to be very useful and since they were discontinued, I haven’t medicated my fish in years. I will keep an eye out for this stuff in stores, I also like the other two nutritional supplements they offer in that line. I will admit though, I am a little confused with the “Gel” nature of the stuff.

http://www.aq-products.com/geltek/geltek.htm

Thanks for sharing.
JD

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:27 pm

I bought some of the Gel-Tek anti parasite meds a while back. Supposedly fish will eat it, but mine wouldn't. I ended up soaking bloodworms in the gel overnight. I tried it with some of my endlers, as they usually eat anything, but they wouldn't eat the gel droplets.

The fish I was treating ended up not having parasites (she's just skinny), it was a dwarf puffer. She's still kicking around, just getting old, I believe.

I did feed a little of the medicated food to my clowns, with no adverse affects. I dosed my puffers with it for more than two weeks, and neither they nor the amano shrimp in with them suffered in any visible way (certainly no deaths). Shrimp are often the first to go when there's a med that's nasty.

So, while I had no problems using it, I can't really vouch for its effectiveness. I have fed gel-soaked foods to several fish in quarantine, as a precaution, and had no fish losses from it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.