dritwood?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

loachdad

dritwood?

Post by loachdad » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:40 pm

I have several pieces of driftwood that we have had on the shelf for a number of years. Would they be o k to put in with my loaches (clowns and weathers) My LFS says driftwood is not good for aquaria even though they sell it
120 gallon with 6 weathers and 8clowbs
15 gallon with 12 kulis
19 other tropical tanks

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:54 pm

Depends on what kind of wood it is. Dry for several years suggests that whatever microorganisms that were on it are dead. If it has a rich fragrance like Eucalyptus or Cedar I would not use it.

I would do this: Soak the driftwood until it sinks. If the wood is small enough boiling it will help it sink faster. Otherwise you could try hot water in the bathtub, or warm water in a garbage can. (Put it in the sun with some clear plastic over it, it will heat up pretty well.)

Watch it as it soaks up water. If the water turns any shade of brown, gold, red, yellow or similar colors the wood is releasing some organic acids, usually tannins. Fish that come from rivers that are high in tannins like this sort of water. Fish that prefer hard, alkaline water do not want tannic acid in their water. If the wood releases just a little, and you can still see through the water then it is probably OK to add to an aquarium. If the water keeps getting darker, then I would change the water that you are soaking the wood in as often as needed until most of the tannic acid is gone. I had some wood that made the water as dark red as a deep red wine! I could not see even an inch into the tank. It took almost a month to clear it, with a LOT of water changes. (No fish in the tank, just the wood)

Just to be sure it is fish safe you might add a few fish to the soaking container when you think the wood is just about ready. (add dechlor of course, and be sure the temperature is OK for the fish)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!