Got some new clowns!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ey

Got some new clowns!

Post by ey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:12 am

Hi, I recently added 9 baby clowns (3-4cm each) to my clown loach tank. Ever since adding them, they have changed the bahavioural patterns of the other 9 older and much larger clowns (8-15cm).

The new baby clowns do not seem shy at all. It has only been a week since getting them. When I got them, they were all relatively skinny as you would expect from getting clowns from LFS, the LFS told me they just arrived.

They don't have skinny disease I don't think, I have been feeding them twice a day and they eat a lot for their small size, and after a week I noticed most of them with a bump below/on their stomach showing how fat they already are.

Yet still, they are always hungry even after I feed them!

Question is, could they potentially die if they keep getting fatter this way? Should I fast them for a day? I'm not sure what to do as both the new baby clowns and the older clowns always seem hungry and this has already caused me to do water changes more frequently.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:47 am

don't over feed any fish, just the standard what they can eat in a minute or two, once or twice a day.. Some feed a lot more often but in smaller quantities.

people here like a fat loach. Hope you have tank space for all those clowns :)

ey

Post by ey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:53 am

mistergreen wrote:don't over feed any fish, just the standard what they can eat in a minute or two, once or twice a day.. Some feed a lot more often but in smaller quantities.

people here like a fat loach. Hope you have tank space for all those clowns :)
Thanks for the reply. The older loaches are already fat, but seems like the new ones are getting fat only after just a week. I feed them 2-3 times a day, usually what they can eat in 2-3 minutes.

Recently upgraded to a 120g tank so hopefully that should be big enough for them until I get a bigger tank in the future.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:48 am

Hi ey,

As the new ones are so tiny, they will require regular feeds throughout the day (small and often is the key) so I would be inclined to do some small additional feeds of very fine (defrosted) frozen foods such as baby brineshrimp, daphnia, cyclops etc, which the big ones will pretty much ignore. Your bigger ones could easily be fed with the larger foodstuffs every other day, if you are concerned they may be getting a little greedy.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

ey

Post by ey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:39 am

Emma Turner wrote:Hi ey,

As the new ones are so tiny, they will require regular feeds throughout the day (small and often is the key) so I would be inclined to do some small additional feeds of very fine (defrosted) frozen foods such as baby brineshrimp, daphnia, cyclops etc, which the big ones will pretty much ignore. Your bigger ones could easily be fed with the larger foodstuffs every other day, if you are concerned they may be getting a little greedy.

Emma
Hi Emma,

Thanks for the reply. I have increased the number of feeds during the day and yet the baby clowns still seem hungry after their 6th feed for the day! They are still swimming around the top and mid levels of the tank searching for food and are constantly digging the live plants thinking its food.

I have fed them frozen brine shrimp which they love - but aren't these really high in protein? Is it okay to feed them brineshrimp everyday?

I have noticed the tank getting dirtier a lot quicker as a result of the increased feeds, how long should I keep up with the increased feeds for the baby clowns? Last time I checked a few hours ago, all the new baby clowns have a very visible 'bump' on their stomach showing that they are getting plenty of food! I'm just not sure if I should feed them less or fast them for a day.

Btw, how is Marge doing? I hope she's doing well!

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 am

I would not fast baby fish, but perhaps less food each feeding. Mine are growing really fast, too, but do not show that big bulge of feed at each feeding. My little guys are barely 2" long (maybe 5 cm?) and at first were a lot bolder than the big guys. Now the whole school plays together at the front of the tank. I would not describe any of mine as fat, but are a healthy weight.
Variations in the diet are the key to healthy feeding. Mine get a long list of frozen and dried foods, as well as fresh vegetables.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 am

ey wrote:I have fed them frozen brine shrimp which they love - but aren't these really high in protein? Is it okay to feed them brineshrimp everyday?

I have noticed the tank getting dirtier a lot quicker as a result of the increased feeds, how long should I keep up with the increased feeds for the baby clowns? Last time I checked a few hours ago, all the new baby clowns have a very visible 'bump' on their stomach showing that they are getting plenty of food! I'm just not sure if I should feed them less or fast them for a day.

Hi ey,

Brineshrimp (artemia) does not have a particularly high protein level, it's the baby brineshrimp that is more nutritious. You should try and alternate the feeds with different small sized frozen foods and different small dry pellet type foods so they are not continually being presented with the same foodstuff. Little bellies on baby loaches is good, just be sure to keep up with water changes etc.
Thanks for asking about Marge, she is doing great, keeping all the others in line! :D

Emma

ey

Post by ey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:23 am

Diana wrote:I would not fast baby fish, but perhaps less food each feeding. Mine are growing really fast, too, but do not show that big bulge of feed at each feeding. My little guys are barely 2" long (maybe 5 cm?) and at first were a lot bolder than the big guys. Now the whole school plays together at the front of the tank. I would not describe any of mine as fat, but are a healthy weight.
Variations in the diet are the key to healthy feeding. Mine get a long list of frozen and dried foods, as well as fresh vegetables.
Thanks for the reply Diane. I saw your reply but didn't have time to reply, but I did not end up fasting the baby fish per your advice. I have put in less food during each feeding though.

I've only had them for about 2 weeks so haven't noticed much growth yet, and are also around 2" long like yours.

I don't have much in terms of frozen food, only frozen brineshrimp and frozen bloodworms, but I did feed them cucumber yesterday, they loved it but the bigger clowns just knock the baby clowns out of the way.

ey

Post by ey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Emma Turner wrote:
ey wrote:I have fed them frozen brine shrimp which they love - but aren't these really high in protein? Is it okay to feed them brineshrimp everyday?

Hi ey,

Brineshrimp (artemia) does not have a particularly high protein level, it's the baby brineshrimp that is more nutritious. You should try and alternate the feeds with different small sized frozen foods and different small dry pellet type foods so they are not continually being presented with the same foodstuff. Little bellies on baby loaches is good, just be sure to keep up with water changes etc.
Thanks for asking about Marge, she is doing great, keeping all the others in line! :D

Emma
Thanks for the reply Emma. Good to hear Marge is doing well.

I do also feed the babies Hikari wafers cracked into small, edible pieces but the larger clowns always snatch it off the baby clowns. I also feed them Tetrabits and Sera flakes.

The bellies on the baby clowns is scaring me though cos usually 30-60 minutes after feeding them, the belly gets so big it looks like the baby clowns are about to explode!! The next day I check on them, their tummy is normal again, so I'm assuming they have a high metabolism!

Also, how long should I keep up with the greater number of feeds? Its making me do water changes every second day as opposed to once a week, the tank is getting dirty a lot quicker now, hard to manage at the moment with crazy hours at work and studies.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:31 am

Hi ey,

It is difficult to judge exactly, particularly as we can't observe the fish in question, but if you feel that you could cut back a little, then do so. Just be sure to keep an eye on them to make sure they are not missing out on their share of the food. Would love to see some pics at some point. :wink:

Emma