Tiger Loach ID Please

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Tiger Loach ID Please

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:29 pm

I assume these are Tiger Loaches. Anyone know exactly what they are? One appears to have the dorsal spot of the Green Tiger Loach (Syncrossus hymenophysa). In the first and third pictures you can see the dorsal spot on the bigger, healthier one. . I don't see the spot on the smaller one. They came in as generic "Tiger Loach".

One appears to be quite healthy, and I think one might have skinny. I have brought them home to treat. They are in quarantine. They are about 2".

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:48 pm

Indeed all Syncrossus hymenophysa.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Thank you very much. :) They are the only Tigers I have seen in this area.

I know they are aggressive, but I have a question. I have had two nice, healthy ones in a community tank for almost two years without a problem. I got them before I knew their reputation. And I haven't had any issues. I know that is very unusual. They are feisty and twitchy and chase around the tank, but they do not bite or harass my other fish -- these two chase each other, but there's no damage (not even a nipped fin). I only see them at night and during feeding times. They are beautiful.

Would I be able to add these two younger, smaller ones after they have gotten a clean bill of health, without setting off the other two relatively peaceful ones? Would the bigger, older ones keep these two hooligans under control? They are so pretty it is a shame to keep them isolated. I have a mini grr tank with skunks, but it is too small to add tigers.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 pm

These are the calmest by far vs. helodes , beauforti and berdmorei That you will find here. They will only pester themselves. They are VERY touchy with chloramines and chlorine etc. They are the first too show distress.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:29 pm

I am glad to hear that. Mine do pester each other, but I have never seen them bother any of my other fish. My two are in very nice shape. Nice color and good finnage. Maybe they will feel better with four of them. Will be a while. I expect the new ones to be in quarantine a month or more.

Blue

Post by Blue » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 am

I wonder why my Syncrossus helodes seem to pester only themselves despite being mixed with the Y. modesta and several barbs. Nasty brats though the way they bite your hand when you wave around frozen foods.lol
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:09 am

Hi Tinman , this could be the Tiger to put in a Clownloach tank ? of all the Syncrossus's[Tigers] Hymenophysa is the one i've never kept !
Sombody on another thread was enquiring as to the senario of keeping Tigers with Clowns ? the genral consensus was not to bother , Is it possible that this could be the best Tiger to add ?

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:08 am

This or beauforti would be the two to try but your mileaga may vary.
I kept the latter with Blue Botia and no issues. I do belive tank size,structure and crowding would all factor higher than mixing the specie BUT ...................
I keep my helodes with hymenophysa and that is an excellent combination. I would not try them with Clowns myself. The temperments are much different.
The helodes tore up beauforti when added to the tank, They do get pack mentality when one is distressed. This would show with the Clowns I am sure.
I keep about 50 helodes in a specie tank with hymenophysa , I belive this to be best . I would not put Clowns with these myself.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 am

My original 2 tigers live in a mixed loach tank with 5 clowns, 7 yoyos, 4 Striatas, two darios (can't find more), . . . with the clowns being the biggest, pretty easy going, but not pushovers. Everyone seems to get along pretty well. The clowns are certainly in charge. The tiger chase each other and are twitchy, but not aggressive. The Yoyos are the biggest pests, but not aggressive. The Darios are no problem and the striatas are fun.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:40 am

Ive had the Syncrossus beauforti (that Doc now has :D ) in with clown loach, community tanks when I first got it and it has never showed any aggression to anything bar actual food put into the tank. It was the only one of the species as I have never seen them for sale and hense never had the chance to get more, but a very very mild little guy.

I think Syncrossus species on the whole are beautiful, and a great find :)

Ashleigh

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 am

I think that many people get away with keeping the odd one or two of a Syncrossus species in with more docile loaches because their natural boisterous 'mob mentality' behaviour is a little surpressed. I understand that some species are hard to find, which is often why people have low numbers in the first place. However, if these 'unusually placid tigers' are put into a situation with lots of their own kind, their behaviour is likely to change, with them showing much more aggression. Although it may then seem a good idea to keep just one or two to keep the community tank harmonious, this is in fact stopping the tigers from forming a hierarchy and from behaving naturally.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Very interesting , i sort of agree with all the comments really , and i can totally understand what both Emma and Tinman are saying BUT not all fish keepers are fortunate enough to have multiple tanks .
Years ago when i was starting in this hobby i was always drawn to the Syncrossus's , and had a few different experiences .

What i do find interesting about peoples attitudes towards the loaches now is the fact that the whole tank is built around the loach/Botia , instead of the loaches being added as a sort of cleaner fish , this shows how sites like lol are making the difference , SO somtimes we have to spare a thought for the person who is new and brimming with enthusiasm !

And all the advice given here is sincere ! though it will differ just as people's own experiences differ !

If you do make a choice and decide to go your own way , just keep a close eye on your fish and be prepared to make adjustments , i.e. sell fishes that become a nuisance !

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:14 pm

My new tigers are rescues. I am treating them for what I believe is internal parasites. If they cause problems in my main tank I have a good LFS that will take them. I have always thought that when my tigers grew up I would move them in my aggressive tank. But they are too small and will be eaten.

When I have a new tank, I want to set up a big Grr tank and I would like to set up a brackish tank.

Future wishes. :)

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Ashleigh wrote:Ive had the Syncrossus beauforti (that Doc now has :D ) in with clown loach, community tanks when I first got it and it has never showed any aggression to anything bar actual food put into the tank. It was the only one of the species as I have never seen them for sale and hense never had the chance to get more, but a very very mild little guy.

I think Syncrossus species on the whole are beautiful, and a great find :)

Ashleigh
He is doing very well by the way. He seems to enjoy the company of my main breeding pair of Kribs and is the only fish they will not chase away. He does boss all of the Y.modesta though.
As soon as I can source some suitable companions I will add to his group and see if they dynamics change somewhat.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...