Pictures of Clown Loach, Hillstreams and Horseheads

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Pictures of Clown Loach, Hillstreams and Horseheads

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:11 am

The Horseheads and Clown are in two different tanks. The clown is a new addition -- about 1.5 inches. I am growing it up a bit before I put it in the Loach tank with 4" clowns. She just recently discovered snails and has been having a great time. This is my grow out/female guppy tank. They just got fed, so the tank looks busy. :)
Hopefully my prized Nerite won't be lunch.
At the end of the video you can see the Nerite eggs on the glass.
This is the boy guppy grow out tank.
One of my small horseheads (and the nose of my Baby Whale). These are about 2" long. They look different from my other horseheads, and I wonder if there are two species. They act the same and hang out together. I don't think they are Long-nose Horseheads
See the little head sticking out of the sand? And another to the right. (I know the decor is losing its paint, but I need to find a replacement before I remove it -- there are about 8 Kuhlies that claim it as home.)
You can see the head of the small Horsehead and later the head of the big Horsehead chewing on an algae wafer. You can also see my rescued Dwarf Frog with the one toe.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Tanja, I am wondering whether you actually have an Acanthopsoides species there, rather than Acantopsis choirorhynchos. I think Mick still keeps Acanthopsoides molobrion, maybe he can confirm yes or no :?:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Emma Turner wrote:Tanja, I am wondering whether you actually have an Acanthopsoides species there, rather than Acantopsis choirorhynchos. I think Mick still keeps Acanthopsoides molobrion, maybe he can confirm yes or no :?:

Emma
I do believe that my big Horsies are Acantopsis choirorhynchos and my small ones are the dwarf Acanthopsoides molobrion. They were sold as Horsehead loaches and even in the same tanks at the store. They do have blunter noses than my big ones. They are a bit more outgoing. They all do fine together with the Kuhlies.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:01 pm

The snouts are too short for A. choirorhynchos, IMO.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:29 pm

I agree, but not for the ones I think are actually horsehead loaches. Did you see the video with the Horsehead eating an algae wafer at the end. His snout is very long.

mack

Hi

Post by mack » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:20 am

Hi,
Nice pics,
mack
I was once open minded, but my brain kept falling out

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:58 am

you lucky lady, yes the loach on the pipe is definitely molobrion, great fish
tanja, i've now got 8 of them.
i'm really enjoying keeping this species, and being taught by them about their moods, if they are happy you can see them above the substrate nearly all the time, they're always on the lookout for food, and they also love the company of their own kind as well as similar looking fish.
keep on the lookout for some more Tanja.

mick

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:33 am

mickthefish wrote:you lucky lady, yes the loach on the pipe is definitely molobrion, great fish
tanja, i've now got 8 of them.
i'm really enjoying keeping this species, and being taught by them about their moods, if they are happy you can see them above the substrate nearly all the time, they're always on the lookout for food, and they also love the company of their own kind as well as similar looking fish.
keep on the lookout for some more Tanja.

mick
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the confirmation. I love these guys. I have 3 (lost one yesterday -- Augh!) and four of the large guys. I am so happy they are dwarfs and not stunted. Mine are out all the time. My big guys are out if they don't think I am around. :) On of my big guys is the bent one. I have had him like that for over six months, and he's not thin, so I think he's doing okay. All of them hang out together and with the various pangios I have. I enjoy these fish so much. I thought they were small, unhealthy versions of the big guys when I bought them. I just wanted to get them out of the show tanks. Turns out they were just small. :) Thanks again.

Thanks Mack. I love my Horsies and other loaches. :)