Aggressive Yoyo Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Cyclingknitster

Aggressive Yoyo Loach

Post by Cyclingknitster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi! I just bought a 6 in. Yoyo Loach yesterday. I brought him home to my 240 gal tank that houses 4 (now 3) 2 1/2 inch clown loaches, 2 2in. yoyos, 1 pokadot loach (and since reading the forums I have learned that this is bad, so I will add more when I find them), and 1 bushynose pleco. Since I have added the the new loach it has been bullying all my clown loaches. This morning I found a dead clown loach and it had it's spikes out. Is this 6 in. yoyo to big for my clown loaches? He's so big and beautiful I hate to take him back but if it's the clowns or him I'll choose the clowns.

Thanks
-Liz

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:22 pm

I suspect the problem is the size of this fish , in its panic to hide it has more than likely taken the established territories of the Clowns , thus upsetting the equilibrium of the tank , all you can do now is make observation's and your decision will depend on whether the rest of the fish settle , if i were you I'd add some more shelters ,i.e. caves ,crevices ,it might just amend the situation :?:

Cyclingknitster

Post by Cyclingknitster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:46 am

Thanks for your reply. I will get more places for them to hide, but I think I'm also going to take the big guy out. He is really aggressive. If I walk up to the tank he charges the glass like a cichlid. That's why I love clowns, they're so playful and calm. Fun to watch. This guy is not fun to watch. Unfortunately I did not get him at a fish store I normally go to.
Cyclingknitster

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:24 am

the fish running to the front is more than likely it's after food, mine do the same but it's all the botias not just the almorhae.
plus you've given the size of both the clowns and the almorhae it knows it's got no opposition for being boss of the tank, and he has.
i think most the people on here will tell you that at times the tanks are nice and peaceful and then for no apparent reason it turns into mayhem for a short time then goes back to normal.
personally i'd persevere with this fish with the addition of extra hiding places.

hope this helps
mick

Cyclingknitster

Post by Cyclingknitster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:34 am

Thank you, that does help. I'll go find another large rock to put in there today. Or maybe some large bamboo.
Thanks again!
-Liz
Cyclingknitster

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:04 pm

more yoyos may help, if the extra hiding places dont calm him down