My first attempt at keeping Hillstream Loaches-update

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fish_frenzy

My first attempt at keeping Hillstream Loaches-update

Post by fish_frenzy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:58 pm

The hubby decided these would look "cute" in out 28G bowfront tank. Grr! I have never kept these guys before and this tank is...was, designated as my Yoyo breeding attempt tank.

Anyhoo, will this 28g tank serve well as a quarrantee tank for 3 of these guys? I believe they are Sewellia lineolata. Will post pics as soon as I figure out the new camera I got a few days ago!

I dropped the water level a few inches to increase water flow and it has some driftwood and rocks with good algae cover. Also lots of hiding spots. Temp is at 77F, 0 ammonia, ph is a bit high at 7.5

Tammy
Last edited by fish_frenzy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looney for Loaches!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:21 pm

it sounds fine , i too have my ph set at over 7 as we atre prone to crashes where i live.
put them in everything sounds OK.

good luck with them
mick

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Mick! I have had them acclimating slowly for over an hour and it looks like 1 male, 3 female. though they are quite small, so there is one I am not too sure of, it male be 2 and 2. Only about 3/4"-1". I am used to big Botias! lol!

I added a powerhead for more flow on the opposite end of the Aquaclear filter so they have LOTS of flow now. I hope they will be happy. :)

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:26 pm

Oooooh! I love these Loaches! they are out waaaaaay more than any of my other loaches. And I get a kick of watching them chase each other around the glass when I get ready to feed. From the pics I see online and in the book, it looks like I have Sewellia lineolata.

I plan to quarantee them for a month or so, but how long can 4 stay happy in a 28G bowfront? They look so little right now compared to the tank. Would I be ok adding a few more?

Anybody have some ideas of what might be a good tankmate or dither if they can stay in this tank for awhile?

Thanks in advance
Tammy :)
Looney for Loaches!

bullisbm

Post by bullisbm » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:07 pm

4 in a 28 they should be fine there as long as you have them. They normally only get 2-1/2 to 3 inches long.

I started out with 3 of them in a 10gl for about a year and they were ok and even bread.

They are now in a 20gl with 2 more and a few other types. They have bread a couple of time but the fry have never made it.. I think the white clouds have had a hand. (or mouth) in that.

I think I have a total of 12 fish in the 20 now.. and as long as I keep up the 50% weekly water changes I don't have problems.

FishyLady

Re: Nice

Post by FishyLady » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:59 pm

qifehawyc wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 am
The chances of the success have been increased for the youngsters. The rate of the production of material and company cv is done in context of the true elements for the humans in life.
?????
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

Bas Pels

Re: My first attempt at keeping Hillstream Loaches-update

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Spam

On this forum, you will have to be careful following internet links from first time posters. In many cases the website where you end up will not be realted to loaches. I'm afraid I'm putting it mildly, I never try them.

emmaorabelle

Re: My first attempt at keeping Hillstream Loaches-update

Post by emmaorabelle » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:24 am

You must use caution when clicking on links to other websites on this forum that are posted by new users. Frequently, the webpage you land on will not be related to loaches. To say I've never tried them is putting it kindly. 
io games