Black Kuhli loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Stitch051707

Black Kuhli loaches

Post by Stitch051707 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:13 pm

Hello. I have a question about one of my tanks. In one of my tanks (10g) I have four black kuhli loaches. I was wondering if there is enough room to add a couple of cory cats? Or is there another small fish that would be good tank mates for my kuhlis? I have seen ghost shrimp mentioned on here. I do not know much about them though. I would like an semi active fish as I love to sit and watch them swim around.

Jennifer

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:06 am

I think many members would say a 10 gallon is too small for Kuhlies. I think 20 is considered the minimum, but I could be wrong.

How long have you had the tank set up? How long have you had the Kuhlies?

Kuhlies and Cories certainly get along. I have Kuhlies with my Cories. The Cories add some activity when the Kuhlies are hiding out. Make sure you have caves for them. Since your tank is small, maybe some dwarf Cories. They will also swim mid-level.

Ghost shrimp, Cherry, Flower/Bamboo and Algae eating shrimp would be fine with Kuhlies and Cories. Make sure you have Ghost shrimp. If they collapse when you take them out of water, they are probably ghosts. If they are able to run, you may have larger predatory shrimp. But Algae eating shrimp are perfectly safe and then can run too. :)

Threadfin Rainbows are small, peaceful surface swimmers.

And finally if your tank is super mature 6 months + without major issues, a dwarf mid-swimmer might work. Celestial Danio (or is it Galaxy Rasbora?) might work. Maybe a small school of Neon and/or Cardinal Tetras. Black Neons might be better. They have nice colors and are much stronger/healthier/heartier. You need a minimum of 5-6 fish, so you can see a 20 may work out better in any case.

Keep your water clean and planted to reduce issues.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:05 pm

4 Kuhlies are plenty of bottom fish for this tank, I would add some upper or mid tank fish, if you do not already have some. Very small ones like Ember Tetras, Dwarf Rasboras and similar sized fish.

A 10 is not very big, and it is all to easy to over stock it and create water quality issues.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mack

Hi

Post by mack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,
I agree with Diana, that 10 gallons is a easy to overstock tank. So I would not personally add any more Kulies or Corys to it.

If you can I would up grade your tank to a larger on. then you can up the amount of fish you have.

mack
I was once open minded, but my brain kept falling out