Ideal Eheim filter for my loach tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ey

Ideal Eheim filter for my loach tank

Post by ey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I currently have a 95g (360L) community tank with 18 clown loaches and 10 yoyo loaches. There are various sizes, with the clowns ranging from 2" to 6". The bulk of the clowns are juveniles (2") though. The yoyos are all juveniles (2"). Other fish include a shoal of rummynose and cardinal tetras.

I have an AquaClear 70 HOB filter (pumps 378 Lph) and Aqua One 1200 Canister filter (pumps 750 Lph) running at the moment but am thinking of adding another canister filter. I'm using a Sera air pump with air curtain/stone in the tank at the moment but am not using a powerhead.

I was deciding between the Eheim Classic 2217 or 2250.

With this next filter, I wanted to get it with the thought that I would be able to use it when I upgrade to a 6x2x2 later this year. So I guess, I need to consider which Eheim would be best for the 6x2x2 since I will be transferring the fish and filters there.

Would it be better to operate two Eheim 2217 for the 6x2x2 or operate one Eheim 2250/2260? Would there be different effects from using two 2217 as opposed to one 2250/60? Is it something to do with the water flow/circulation? I plan to keep the AquaClear HOB and AquaOne canister running so there will be a minimum of 3 filters running when I upgrade to the 6x2x2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 am

Hi Ey, Great choice going with Eheim - I have a Pro 2 / 2026 running on a 3x1.5x1.5 and it has been great. Very easy to maintain with 2 media baskets, easy to remove and replace hose connections and very simple priming. I have never had a Classic but have heard they have minor "problems" that were corrected with the Pro 2 design - like hard to remove hoses without spilling some water, only single basket makes cleaning and reloading media difficult and priming is not easy. Maybe someone who owns a Classic can give you their opinion in this regard.
I just got a 6x2x2 on Sunday and a few weeks ago got a Pro 2 /2028 and an Aquaclear 110 to run on it and hope they will do the job OK. I have the 2028 running on my small tank to cycle it (it will be there for a month while I stain and varnish the stand and hood) then transfer both Eheims to the 6x2x2 and set up the Aquaclear. I hope this makes the move stress-free and easy on the loaches and will be watching them closely and doing water tests twice daily. After about 6 weeks I will take the 2026 out and put it back in the small tank. I will need a couple of powerheads as I am sure the filters will not provide enough flow in a 6 ft tank.
I considered a Pro 3 /2080 but the price was more than for 2 2028's so if I need to I will get another 2028. It is not an easy decision to make but I hope this helps you. Good Luck with it all.
Cheers Graeme.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:05 am

I'd be looking at a much bigger tank than a 6'x2'x2 'for eighteen clowns. I have five in a five foot tank and that's pushing it (both for the fish and the floorboards).
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

greenbaron

Post by greenbaron » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:04 am

I have the classic, just replaced one I'd had for years and years and opted to get the same thing again... they come with the quick disconnect couplings now that install on the hoses for easy disconnecting and priming, etc., so that's not an issue. I have the biological media in bags, so cleaning is not any more difficult than with any other cannister. It's quiet as a mouse and I love it's simplicity. I'd buy it again, oh wait, I did that already! Two would be nice, too! :D

ey

Post by ey » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks for the reply Graeme.

Good luck with the transition to the 6x2x2, let me know how it goes! Sounds like it will be getting plenty of strong filtration. The AquaClear HOBs are really reliable.

I will look into the Eheim Professional 2 series, my LFS told me that whilst there have additional features such as self priming, the performance on the classic series is better. The classics are also half the price of an equivalent Professional 2.

Did you get the 6x2x2 with a cabinet too? Do you mind me asking how much this cost you?

I'll let you know which one I end up getting.
Graeme McKellar wrote:Hi Ey, Great choice going with Eheim - I have a Pro 2 / 2026 running on a 3x1.5x1.5 and it has been great. Very easy to maintain with 2 media baskets, easy to remove and replace hose connections and very simple priming. I have never had a Classic but have heard they have minor "problems" that were corrected with the Pro 2 design - like hard to remove hoses without spilling some water, only single basket makes cleaning and reloading media difficult and priming is not easy. Maybe someone who owns a Classic can give you their opinion in this regard.
I just got a 6x2x2 on Sunday and a few weeks ago got a Pro 2 /2028 and an Aquaclear 110 to run on it and hope they will do the job OK. I have the 2028 running on my small tank to cycle it (it will be there for a month while I stain and varnish the stand and hood) then transfer both Eheims to the 6x2x2 and set up the Aquaclear. I hope this makes the move stress-free and easy on the loaches and will be watching them closely and doing water tests twice daily. After about 6 weeks I will take the 2026 out and put it back in the small tank. I will need a couple of powerheads as I am sure the filters will not provide enough flow in a 6 ft tank.
I considered a Pro 3 /2080 but the price was more than for 2 2028's so if I need to I will get another 2028. It is not an easy decision to make but I hope this helps you. Good Luck with it all.
Cheers Graeme.

ey

Post by ey » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:09 am

Eyrie wrote:I'd be looking at a much bigger tank than a 6'x2'x2 'for eighteen clowns. I have five in a five foot tank and that's pushing it (both for the fish and the floorboards).
Eyrie, what sized tank would you suggest for that number of clowns? I understand they grow to massive sizes over time, if 5 clowns in a 5 ft tank is already testing the limits as you say, then surely I'll either have to give away some of my clowns or consider a 8 or 10 foot tank?

ey

Post by ey » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:10 am

greenbaron wrote:I have the classic, just replaced one I'd had for years and years and opted to get the same thing again... they come with the quick disconnect couplings now that install on the hoses for easy disconnecting and priming, etc., so that's not an issue. I have the biological media in bags, so cleaning is not any more difficult than with any other cannister. It's quiet as a mouse and I love it's simplicity. I'd buy it again, oh wait, I did that already! Two would be nice, too! :D
Thanks greenbaron, which Eheim classic model do you have?

greenbaron

Post by greenbaron » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:14 pm

I have 2215 Classic (164 gph) and a Marineland HOT Magnum (250gph) on a 75 gal tank. I like having two, and I am really quite happy with both filters. :D For the money, I think the HOT Magnum is the best thing out there. Great add on, use it as a scrubber, or throw peat pellets in it, whatever!

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi again Ey,
The cabinet I got is a Colonial design with four doors made from first-grade pine. The price was $555 for the cabinet but I got 10% off this as I got the package. The quality of workmanship in it is truly firstclass and the main reason I went with it.
Colonial Cabinet = $555
Colonial Hood = $269
10 mm Tank =$360
Total =$1,184.
I got 10% discount for buying the package so paid $1,075. and think I got a great deal. + 10 year warranty. My other outlays so far are-
Eheim 2028 = $440
Aquaclear 110 = $120
2 x bags Poolfilter Sand = $40
2 x 300w Jaeger heaters = $120
Purigen+bags = $65
Total so far = $1,860 but it will not stop there as I will get 4ft twin tx5 fluro + 2ft moonlight + airpump + protein skimmer + U/V + 2 x Powerheads + digital thermometer etc,etc,etc.
Big tanks can certainly drain your wallet quickly but I am sure I will be one really happy "Fishgeek" when it is completed and I am sure my Loaches will love it.
Cheers Graeme.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Sorry, forgot to add that I will post some photo's when completed.
Greenbaron has a good opinion of the Classic so they would be a good choice but I would go the largest you can. Just remember the flow figures given for ALL filters are without filter medium,pads or foam. For example my 2026 is rated at 950 l/m but the max it will pump with Eheim pads and media is 680 l/m. Actual flow figures for all filters are on the Eheim website. Cheers Graeme.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Hey greenbaron, what do you use for bags to put your media in? Does it seem to resrtict the flow? I'm thinking of getting a 2217 to add to the AC 110 on my 75. I like the baskets on the pro series but by what I can find the classics have more flow and are less likely to have problems, and they're twice the price!

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:59 pm

ey wrote:
Eyrie wrote:I'd be looking at a much bigger tank than a 6'x2'x2 'for eighteen clowns. I have five in a five foot tank and that's pushing it (both for the fish and the floorboards).
Eyrie, what sized tank would you suggest for that number of clowns? I understand they grow to massive sizes over time, if 5 clowns in a 5 ft tank is already testing the limits as you say, then surely I'll either have to give away some of my clowns or consider a 8 or 10 foot tank?
I'd think an eight footer should be OK but it's still a lot of fish when you consider how bulky they get.
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

greenbaron

Post by greenbaron » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:38 am

plaalye wrote:Hey greenbaron, what do you use for bags to put your media in? Does it seem to resrtict the flow?
good question. i had bought eheims media bag many years ago, and use it to this day for the efhisubstrate. it works great, does not restrict flow and rinses clean (along with the contained media) nicely. So great, i recently ordered a couple more of their media bags. i wanted to put the ehfimech in a bag too. well they've changed their bags apparently, i put the ehfimech in the new bag and after trying to rinse it out a few times and seeing the futility of that, I threw it away and returned the -mech to its loose state in the bottom of the cannister. Not only that, but the new bag developed a hole, so not only did it restrict flow, it wasn't tough enough to hold the -mech ---and I only used it for about a month! So, depending on what bag you use I certainly do agree that you might have an issue with flow (and the ability to easily rinse the stuff at filter cleaning time). As it is, I just dump the -mech in a strainer- it's really not a problem for me. if I could get more of the old style bags though, I would...

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:14 am

^^^Thanks for that info! I'll see what I can find. Most people, from what I read, only clean them 2 or 3 times a year so It's not that big of a deal I guess.