Opinions please...which filter would you use?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sea Sprite

Opinions please...which filter would you use?

Post by Sea Sprite » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:17 pm

I was wondering if canister filters would be the best choice because they would help provide a stream-like current (?)

If you were setting up a clown loach tank (75 gal) from scratch, which filter would you use?

What do you think about this one?
The Fluval 405 External Canister Filter provides complete, multi-stage filtration for aquariums up to 400 Liters (100 U.S. gallons). The modular design allows for quick and easy maintenance while flexible filter media chambers permit maximum versatility for basic to custom filter media configurations. Fluval 05 external canister filters offer quick, trouble-free maintenance features. These include instant priming, lift-lock clamps that securely lock the cover in place and an Aqua-Stop feature that stops the water flow without the need to disconnect hoses. Backed by a 3-year guarantee.

Black / Silver
UL approved
110 V, 60 Hz
Filter media included: 2 x Foam, 4 x Carbon (70 g), 4 x Glass, Bio-max (200 g)
2 part Lock clamp
Ribbed hosing
Last edited by Sea Sprite on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:05 am

definitely canister.
It's the most efficient filter for a large tank.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:51 am

I have the Fluval 405, and it seems good. Easy to use, because it has a primer pump, and it is reasonably quiet.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:52 am

Here you mentioned the Fluval 405, and in the other post you said 403. The 403 (I think it's 317 gph) is an older design that isn't self priming. I had one for years, and it has a tremendous amount of room for media. You also mentioned an Eheim filter that is one of their lower end models, but didn't mention the exact model. The flow rate still doesn't compare to the Fluval, although Eheims are considered the best. I don't have a Fluval "5" series, although I used a 104 on a smaller planted tank for about a year. A lot of the internal volume of the filter was hard plastic pieces designed to channel water through thin foam pieces, before the baskets containing the biological and other types of filtration you want to use, such as carbon. It was a decent little filter, and was easy to prime. One thing I don't like about the new Fluvals is their use of proprietary ribbed hose. I tried it, but ended up replacing it with some good Lee's black pond hose.

I've always used canister filters in my tanks, but as secondary filtration. I don't like to rely on them for biological filtration. Aren't you going to use your powerheads?

Sea Sprite

Post by Sea Sprite » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:10 am

jwyfk,
Yes, I did mention the 403. But I dragged my feet and someone got to it before me. But I'm glad because then I wouldn't have found this 405. :)
Someone recomended that I remove the undergravel filter You think it should stay? If I take it out the under gravel, I will still be able to use the
2 powerheads, right?

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the Fluval 405, and it seems good. Easy to use, because it has a primer pump, and it is reasonably quiet.

Really...? I LIKE easy & quiet! :D Thanks, bslindgren

Mr Green, TY ...I hope
iI get it before it sells

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:07 am

If you can afford it I'd go with the FX5 instead.. Far bigger capacity and flow rate.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:34 am

Go by flow rate, not what the manufacturer says about what size tank it will work with.
Clowns prefer a lot more water movement than average. I generally set up the filter for something close to 10 times the tank volume per hour, so look for filter(s) that will provide 750 gallons per hour.
Then add power heads.

The problem is that filters are often tested empty, or with new (clean) media, so the GPH is accurate for only a short while, then drops off. You need to get as much water movement as you can for fish like these, and a big filter is only part of the answer.

Unless they have made some major improvements in the Fluval series I would not buy one. I have several of the*03 and *04 series and there are too many problems for me to want to repeat.
I am finding some odd problems with the Rena Filtstars, too.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 pm

The only problems I had with the 2 "3" series Fluvals I owned were the cheaply designed water shut off valves, and the clear plastic impeller cover breaking. I bought Magnum quick disconnect fittings, but the 4 & 5 series allow you to shut the water flow off.

Undergravel filters can have dead spots where anaerobic bacteria will colonize. You really have to keep up with your gravel washes, and move decorations around, or you'll get a buildup of detritus. The problem is that when you do the gravel washes, you're also disturbing the biological filter. Other people may have a different opinion, though. I've had excellent luck with Bio-wheel filters, but not everyone likes them.

You can still use your powerheads with a quick filter like this:

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/images/12 ... filter.jpg

...or, a sponge filter.

See if you can find a deal on Ebay for a good quality, self priming Eheim canister. I've also seen some FX5s on there at bargain prices.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:44 pm

i have eheiems, which are very good, but i do struggle to get them to prime. there is a big grey button on the top which you push to prime, but i find it very hard and normally my other half has to do it for me. they are good and quiet though.

persopnally, i would get rid og the UG, especially if you you want to keep bottom dwellers like loaches and catfish, which will snuffle around in the substrate.

Sea Sprite

Post by Sea Sprite » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Wow! I just spent 20 mins writing a reply (spell checking, adding links, etc)...and I'll admit it was a rather lengthy response. But when I hit 'submit' it vanished into thin air....

Maybe LOL has a no rambling rule that I broke :lol:

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:44 pm

no, no no-rambling rule, just a ghost in the computer that makes posts mysteriously dissapear. One day i could only post blank posts. i would spend ages writing something, and the computer ghost would censor it. i started to get paranoid :roll:

Sea Sprite

Post by Sea Sprite » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm

LO!

I will try to remember all that I covered and repeat the post then.

Sea Sprite

Post by Sea Sprite » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi all, thnx for the responses!

Immediately after reading Docs post I searched for testimonials from aquarists who have them. Most were very positive. Then I started looking for the FX5 @ eBay.

Diana,
Good advice, TY. So, this would be considered a very good GPH for my 75, right? --> 924 U.S. Gal./H (is this another way of wording GPH?)
BTW, best of luck getting your Rena probs worked out.

jwyfk & Helen,
TY! As soon as whatever filter I buy arrives & has been working for a couple dys, I will yank that sucker (the UG) out of my tank.

As far as the continued use of power heads after the UG is gone...I was reading Martin Thoene's articles on the manifold he designed.
http://www.loaches.com/articles/a-river-runs-through-it
*really nice* and I found myself at Home Depot today after work with 3/4" PVC, elbows & T-joints in my cart. I did not have the schematics with me however, so wound up leaving it at the store & coming home with a couple of extra 5 gal buckets for water changes, instead.

...I will "copy" this post in case it flies off into space (cyberspace) like my other one.