Moving some loaches...is it safe?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

botiaboy

Moving some loaches...is it safe?

Post by botiaboy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:07 pm

I hae 3 clown loaches and a yoyo loach,as well as 3 synodontis nigriventris,in a 26 gallon tank.I am planning on moving them into a 55 gallon that currently houses a common pleco.The Ammonia and nitrite are 0,and with just one 3 and 1/2 inch pleco the nitrate can't be very high,since he's only been in there about 2 weeks.The PH is 7.0.It's cycled but I'm a bit worried about the "green water" algea.I also dont want to upset the bio filter by adding too many fish.The clown loaches are all around 2 inches,the UD cats are about an inch except 1 is about 2 and 1/2 inches,and the yoyo loach is about 2 inches long.Would adding all these at the same time be a problem?

DRLashambe

Post by DRLashambe » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:38 am

I'd definately space out the transfer over a larger time period: say a week. You might be okay with some species, but with Clown loaches being so sensitive, I wouldn't risk exposing them to the possibility of an ammonia spike. Let the tank settle after each re-location. I have two Aquaclear 110 filters on my 90 gallon, and still had one spike. It can happen pretty suddenly, and the risk isn't worth it.

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Ok,I'll move the 3 clowns today,the yoyo on thursday,and the catfish on sunday.Does that sound ok?

MaryJ

Post by MaryJ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:00 am

I`d move the clown last since they`re so sensitive just to be sure . You do know they`ll ( the Clowns ) eventually need at least a 100 gal tank to thrive well. The common pleco will outgrow the 55 even faster causing the water to get real nasty real fast. :? Just my $.02 worth. :wink:
125 5 Clown Loaches, 7 Discus
55 3 Discus,polkadot loach,clown Pleco
55 Cories,Betta,Platy juvis
29 Cories

newshound

Post by newshound » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:41 am

botiaboy wrote:Ok,I'll move the 3 clowns today,the yoyo on thursday,and the catfish on sunday.Does that sound ok?
space it out alot longer than that.
From what I can gather your 55 gallon tank has only had a fish in it for two weeks? That is not cycled.
You can boost the new tank with bacteria from the old tank by running a filter on the old tank for at least one day (LONGER) and then transfering it to the new tank. Also sand and water from an established (cycled) tank can help. Cycling takes time.
drain your pool!

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:49 pm

No,I had six zebra danios and a swordtail,they died after about a month(toxic stuff high)then I decided to finish by adding fresh fish food as a supplement to fish food proccessed by the fish.THEN I added the pleco just to be sure it was safe.
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys