Ideal temperature for clown and yoyo loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ey

Ideal temperature for clown and yoyo loaches?

Post by ey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:31 am

Hi everyone, as some of you may or may not be aware, I ran into some issues with my clown loaches a few weeks ago and have since had a running battle with ich.

While I have still been treating the tank for ich and keeping an eye out on the water params, there has been no sign of any white spots or ich symptoms for a week. I think I'll continue treating for a few more days just to be 100% sure everything is fine and that ich is killed for good.

All the clowns are looking healthy and are swimming and eating like normal again. :)

I've kept the temperature at 28C (82F) during this time, is it okay to leave it at 28C? I've read that 78F is usually ideal, but I've also read that clowns prefer and actually thrive in the warmer temperatures.

I have sterbai cories and rummy noses, so they should be able to adapt to the higher temps (28C-30C).

Cheers

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:34 am

I'm so glad to hear your loaches have recovered!

I'll leave the question about temperature to someone else, though. I'm sure they'd be OK but as for what is best, I don't know.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:27 am

That's great news, ey! :D I keep my clowns at 80F, a little low to some, I think 82F is preferred by most people. The yo-yos can handle 82F I think although it's at their high end they are hardier fish & should be fine. The sterbai I don't know about, try planetcatfish.com, some cories don't like high temps.
Nancy

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:50 am

I have Sterbais and Rummynose and keep both about 80F. I know the Rummynose can handle it with no problem as they are kept with Discus at 80-85. :)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:15 pm

Corydoras sterbai are one of the C species, that actually live in warmer waters. Your in luck!

ey

Post by ey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:50 pm

Thanks for the reply and a real big thank you to everyone, in particular TammyLiz and Nancy for all your helpful suggestions over the past few weeks during my running battle with ich.

I'm glad and very happy to have won the battle (hopefully for good) and it feels awesome just to be able to feed and look at the fish and maintain the tank now without having to worry about ich.

Good lesson I've learned from this is you can never take anything for granted - never expected I would lose those CL, but I'm sure I will be better in the long run through this experience.

Again, thanks for the help!

ey

Post by ey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:Corydoras sterbai are one of the C species, that actually live in warmer waters. Your in luck!
Thanks for confirming Graeme, that was what I thought too, but just wasnt 100% sure.

Do you know if Bronze Cories can do well in the warmer temps?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Corydoras aeneus are widely bred now, and most probably all we see in lfs is that of breeding farms. They do best in temperatures between 72 and 82. These are generally hardy catfish that come from waters of 76. The choice is yours! :D

ey

Post by ey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:Corydoras aeneus are widely bred now, and most probably all we see in lfs is that of breeding farms. They do best in temperatures between 72 and 82. These are generally hardy catfish that come from waters of 76. The choice is yours! :D
Awesome, thanks for the info Graeme! :)

I've got bronze cories in the other tank where the temp is 78, they spawned a few months back, now that they fry are big enough to go into the main tank, might add some of the fry to the main tank where the temp is 82. I'll see how they cope.