My powerhead broke & I'm low on funds

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

raecarrow

My powerhead broke & I'm low on funds

Post by raecarrow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:12 pm

I noticed yesterday afternoon that my powerhead for my undergravel filter is no longer working. The main issue is that I have very little money right now (I am going to be signing a lease on a new place this afternoon and have to put most of my money into deposits and first month's rent.

Is there anything inexpensive I could do in the mean time or should I just suck it up and buy a new powerhead? What I am using is a 5-20gal Aqua Clear that I started using 5 months ago. This is a power head is being used in a 10gal (I know I need a bigger tank but I don't have the room or the money for it currently and I didn't know that loaches needed more space and larger groups when I got them. I hope to have a larger thank within the next month or two).

In addition, what do you think would cause it to die on me in that short of a time? I shut off my filter at night along with my lights because my guppies are less stressed when I do that, but they are in a different tank now so I guess I should think about what my loaches need.

This tank is currently stocked with 1 Zebra, 1 yoyo (I know these guys need friends but I don't know if I should put more in that tiny tank), 3 black kuhlis (I know could use more of these too) and 3 dwarf oto cats.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:22 pm

I have a Fluval internal filter that needs to be shaken each time to start it-it keeps sticking for some reason, you could try that.

A stubid question, but one I have overlooked before-have you checked the fuses in your plug? This has happened to me several times, I moan to the other half that something is broken again only for him to fix it in seconds with new fuse :oops: :oops:

If the powerhead is just 5 months old, is it not still under warranty? Is there no way you can take it back for a replacement? Most electrical goods come with one years manufacture's cover.

Ashleigh

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:25 pm

I don't have the box or receipt :-/ I really should keep that stuff.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:35 pm

Did you buy via card? Usually you can get a card statement with the transaction on it, and they will issue you with a replacement. Thats what we did in my old work for people w/o recipts and packaging :)

If not, if you can remember when you bought it, they can usually look it up on their system, long as theres some sort of proof you bought it there then they should give you a new one.

Another option is to contact the manufacture directly-there should be a batch number on the actual item, so they can trace it. They are usually quite good with giving out replacements.

Ashleigh

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:39 pm

Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 pm

i think it's the same problem both Ashleigh and i have. take the guard of where the impeler is clean the blades and the magnet and the cavity where the impeler sits and as long as the motors not burnt out it should start again, if not take it back to the shop you got it and ask them to exchange it for a new one.

mick
ps, take a baseball with you. :lol: :wink:

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:15 pm

I don't remember where I bought it. I just graduated from a college in Lancaster county PA, my parents live in northern Delaware. I could have bought it in either area.

I am currently living in Gaithersburg, MD, 20 min (in good traffic) Northwest of Washington DC. See why I have trouble keeping receipts and stuff? LOL

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:17 pm

Hey guys, good news. Thanks to your suggestions, I dismantled my powerhead and found that the reason it wasn't running was that it was gunked up with algae. I cleaned it out and it now works fine.

I thought it was one solid unit before one of you said something about cleaning it out.

Thanks so much. YAY! I don't have to spend money, though I would like to ;)

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:19 pm

glad to hear it mate.

mick