The Super-Glue Principle

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

The Super-Glue Principle

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:49 pm

..........is a photography method that Graeme has been accused of before. I just took this picture of one of my Garra and it seems a perfect example of how to make fish stay still.

Ya glue them to the rocks, and........

This fish often rests like this.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:57 pm

Thats the right "Glue" :D

*Trade name* = Peace.....!

Cracking picture, Martin.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:21 pm

Thats a very nice shot. I'm getting jealous of you people and your aquatic photography skills. Or is it that you spend way too much time snapping hundreds of photos, so you get lucky more often than I do?

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:26 pm

TammyLiz wrote:Thats a very nice shot. I'm getting jealous of you people and your aquatic photography skills. Or is it that you spend way too much time snapping hundreds of photos, so you get lucky more often than I do?
Well usually that is the technique but this shot was a true one-off Image. I thought i might improve it, but the fish swam off Image.

Martin.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:56 am

Cool shot of a cool fish. :D
By the way, what is the temperment of these fish?

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:07 am

Hey.....I used to rest like that on pillows when I was preggo :mrgreen: Very comfy on the tummy :wink:

What a great shot Martin :!:

Jim, I might not have the same ones, but my Garra Pingi Pingi are very peaceful and sociable. They love to scoot around plants, play with the SAE's, and clown around with the loaches even. I love their little wiggly noses :D

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:45 am

What do they eat, and how big do they get?
(this is for reference in case I ever see them and can't resist)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:54 am

You ask away Jim. I want some information as-well. :wink:

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:06 pm

Let's see....first off, here's some basic info on Pingi's...again, these might not be the same as Martin's???

http://www.azgardens.com/algae_eating_fish.php

Mine seem perfectly happy with Flake food, "variety" pellets/wafers, any algea in the tank, and Bloodworms they manage to get from the Loaches.

CKfish

Post by CKfish » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:55 pm

The best part about Marten's approach is that you can just pick up those two little rocks to position the fish anywhere you want in the tank! ;)
CKfish aka Charlie

><((((º>..·`·..·`·... ><((((º> ..
·..·`·.. ><((((º>``·..·`·.. ><((((º> ..

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:09 pm

General concensus is that this is Garra gotlya. I got 4, but lost one last week. It suddenly blew up similar to Dropsy, but way quicker. I saw some bloody marks under the skin and an hour later it was dead????

Anyhow, this pic is the biggest one. It was in a different tank to the other 3 at the shop. The remaining two are catching up fast. These things are absolute pigs! They've cleared all the algae in the tank and now go nuts anytime I go near the tank. Great characters actually.

They're eating flake, HBH algae wafers, frozen Bloodworm, chopped shrimp, etc with avid enthusiasm. They like to hang out with one another and will touch one another as some sort of bonding mechanism it seems. Occasionally you see a sort of "peck" at another, but it's pretty much what any shoaling fish do to each other.

They're great with the Schisturas who bug one another a bit, but fairly much ignore the Garra apart from barging into them when food goes in the tank.

I think they're a great fish.....particularly as they were under $3 each. Have to see how their habits develop as they mature.

Martin.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:41 pm

mamaschild wrote:Hey.....I used to rest like that on pillows when I was preggo :mrgreen: Very comfy on the tummy :wink:

Haha! I hear you there! I slept with three pillows carefully arranged when I was pregnant with my daughter.

BTW...I am pregnant again. I don't think I've mentioned that to you guys. Yay! I am about 7 1/2 weeks along now.

Martin, I saw a fish very similar to that one in body shape at the LFS when I got my kuhlis yesterday. Shape was exactly the same, but the color was lighter, with darker splotches, and no red on the tail but the dorsal was red. There were also some that had black lines along the sides, prob a different species. Otherwise, the body, fin, and mouth shape were exactly alike on both kinds. I am curious, after hearing your description of the behavior of yours, do you think the ones I saw were related, and what might they be? They were sucking on the rocks so I know they weren't tetras this time! :lol:

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:17 pm

TammyLiz wrote:
mamaschild wrote:Hey.....I used to rest like that on pillows when I was preggo :mrgreen: Very comfy on the tummy :wink:

Haha! I hear you there! I slept with three pillows carefully arranged when I was pregnant with my daughter.

BTW...I am pregnant again. I don't think I've mentioned that to you guys. Yay! I am about 7 1/2 weeks along now.
Congratulations!! :D

I thought you where 'glowing' tonight! :wink:

JoeKuhlii

Post by JoeKuhlii » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:40 pm

Fantastic picture and fish.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:08 pm

I wonder if they eat hair algae like SAE's do?