Device for water

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sue Tegland

Device for water

Post by Sue Tegland » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:07 am

I have had trouble with various fish dying and was recommended at this forum to use a UV light, which I've had running for a month now. A couple fish died in this last month which I figured were infested previously. Otherwise things seem pretty much stable in the tank, but I do need to re-arrange (which the loaches love) and also to try to get rid of beard algae.
But I digress.
I am curious to hear comments about the Eco-Aqualizer, which uses ionization and far infrared light to stabilize tank water. Apparently one puts chlorinated water in for changes, and lets the Aqualizer put it to use in some more chemical way that is not harmless to fish. I read the descriptions of what goes on when it's in use, but I wasn't sure the science was thorough enough.
I am dubious, but since I seem to change water every 2 weeks rather than every 1 week, I thought maybe I could alleviate my guilt if i had this device on....
Anyone had any experience, for good bad or indiff?
my hope is that the loaches are laughing

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:39 am

As far as I know the Eco-Aqualizer is a scam.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/debunked.htm

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:28 am

Ditto. The Rex Grigg article explains it all.

However, if you want to test it, and keep VERY close records of water quality, including some tests that are not commonly sold in fish stores, go for it. I would like to see some actual results, accurately recorded, not just some testimonials.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sue Tegland

Post by Sue Tegland » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Yo! Chuckle chuckle.
I don't want to turn my precious fish into pigs of the guinea type, and though I'm not strong on science, the RexGrigg article seems to be right on to me.
So thanks, folks, I will let someone more adventurous than me experiment with this vacuum-sealed, Infrared-sans-electricity gadget.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Instead of relying on some gimmick device to keep a stable tank, you might want to looking into a larger tank/fewer fish, a good filter, and plants.
There are tanks where I change the water every month or two.

Sue Tegland

Post by Sue Tegland » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 am

Thanks. I am working at getting a larger tank, but mine is pretty stable. My water tests run the same from one time to the next. I just had a problem with fish dying anyway.........not the loaches, but some of the smaller ones.
Had an earlier discussion on this forum re mycobacterium (fish TB) possibly being the cause, so I worry. Hopefully, since I have had a UV sterilizer running for the last month in there, the problem is resolving.
I have hairgrass, the curly crinum, anubias and lots of java fern, and these plants do seem to help keep the water more stable.
I have a 35-g but want a larger home for my clowns soon as I can afford it. Saved some by just not buying that crazy device!