lost loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bubbaspock

lost loach

Post by bubbaspock » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Saturday I purchased a Golden Dojo Loach. I put him in the tank myself, saw him on saturday afternoon and evening. Sunday morining, no loachie. Monday, no loachie. I've scoured the tank looking. I've seen my 2 black loaches, cory cats, etc. I'm wondering if he jumped ship while I had the tank cover open. Is this possible? :(

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:15 pm

This explains alot of information.

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/wloach.html

Laura

Post by Laura » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:15 pm

It's possible it jumped, but mine bury constantly. If it's not on the floor look in the substrate.
Check for whiskers peeking out :wink:

Gary Herring

Re: lost loach

Post by Gary Herring » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:23 am

bubbaspock wrote: I'm wondering if he jumped ship while I had the tank cover open. Is this possible? :(
Yes it most definately is possible - mine have never jumped but lots of other dojo keepers have reported it happening. The good news is that they can survive for a while out of the water, but if I were you I'd check around the outside of your tank ASAP.

I agree with Laura though, the most likely explaination is that it has burrowed into the substrate - especially if it is sand. Dojo's are really good at burrowing, and for good reason. In the wild, the shallow rivers and ditches they inhabit can dry out, meaning they have to burrow into the mud for survival.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:37 am

Laura wrote:It's possible it jumped, but mine bury constantly. If it's not on the floor look in the substrate.
Check for whiskers peeking out :wink:
I also think this could be it. When I first got mine, they all stayed buried for a little while. But as soon as the food hit the water, they were going crazy and have been that way ever since. I once had to seperate them for a couple of days and left one by itself. I didnt see it at all until I put them all back together again.