Plant Fertilizer With Trace Copper

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

soul-hugger

Plant Fertilizer With Trace Copper

Post by soul-hugger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:29 pm

I just bought some fertilizer for my plants, who are doing well but look in need of an extra boost. When I got it home I looked at the ingredients and found that it contains copper. The brand is Nutrafin, and it contains 0.0005% copper. It seems like a very small amount, but I heard copper and loaches don't mix. I have 2 young adult weather loaches (dojos), and 4 baby kuhli loaches. The bottle has been sitting unopened because I am afraid to use it. Will even this small amount harm them? Thank-you!

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:58 pm

What is the recommendation for the concentration? A good fert. should contain a very littel Cu.
Wolfram

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:08 pm

I have a 20 gallon tank, and the guy at the fish store recommended I use about half a dose every 2 weeks. A full dose is 5ml per 10 gallons, or 37.8 litres. The concentration reads 0.15-0-0, as per the usual fertilizer for land plants, with which I am quite familiar. Still learning about the aquatic ones though. Thanks!

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:35 pm

no worries...
0.0005% copper is very small. Your tap water might have more copper than that.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:40 pm

In regards to copper of you above data, I did a quick calculation and you still would be fine in case you used 3 times the full amount.

It´s a good idea to start with 1/2 amount and increase in case you don´t see success.

Here you may find also soemthing about copper concentration, of homemade fert´s.

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=copper
Wolfram