Made changes in the loach tank.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dutch

Made changes in the loach tank.

Post by Dutch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:20 pm

I've made a few changes in the loach tank today. I've observed the loches being stuck in the same corner of the tank almost all the time and have tried to create some new places where they feel comfortable.

Before it was like this...

With the Vallisneria at the back, which grew quite high and would hang over the java ferns. But I noticed that the loaches seem to prefer a cover lower down in the tank (and not plants floating on the surface).
So I changed it to this...

(The light is still the same, that difference has more to do with the way I shot the picture.)

Now the java ferns (which are deeper than the picture suggests) are providing cover lower down in the tank, plus the Vallisneria are no longer blocking my filter inlet which might have improved the flow. The back of the tank proved more low down cover over the whole width of the tank, so I hope it will make the kubs a lot bolder.
Regards,
Erik

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:28 pm

I think it's a much more attractive layout too, along with the improved cover for the loaches. Excellent :D
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Bully

Post by Bully » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:26 pm

I prefer the new look too :) What's the floating plant? Is it Limnobium laevigatum? If it is it's a beautiful floating plant :)

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:02 am

Thanks.
Yes, the floating plant is Limnobium laevigatum. I bought it early on when I was having trouble getting a good balance in the tank. This plant grows so fast that it really helps the stability in the tank.
Regards,
Erik

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:20 am

It looks lovely Dutch 8)

Ashleigh

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 am

Hi Erik,

Great move. Looks nice. The plant on the rear-left top corner, is that long leaves from the vallisneria curling up on the surface or are those the roots of the Limnobium?

Cheers
Wolfram

Bully

Post by Bully » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:15 am

wasserscheu wrote:Hi Erik,

Great move. Looks nice. The plant on the rear-left top corner, is that long leaves from the vallisneria curling up on the surface or are those the roots of the Limnobium?

Cheers
Those are the roots of the Limnobium :) They can easily reach to the substrate if they are not mobile on the surface. When they are mobile they tend to tangle up with each other.

janma

Post by janma » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:26 am

I like it, looks natural.
-Janne

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:05 am

Thanks all.
What Bully said Wasserscheu, I removed all the vallisneria from the tank. I love the plant, but it grows too fast and I had to remove large amounts almost every week or it would fill the entire tank. Plus I think the java ferns will get more light this way.
It seems to work quite well now. The loaches show more activity and, importantly, seem to enjoy resting in the open (something I haven't seen them do very much). When they hide it's also a little more dispersed thoughout the tank.
Regards,
Erik

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:12 am

Superb!! 8)

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 am

it looks good matey. :wink:

mick