Introduction of myself and my fish

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

raecarrow

Introduction of myself and my fish

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Hello everyone!
I was recently told by someone in the Off-topic forum that I should do a basic introduction of myself and my fish. I figured that, since this forum has become a staple of my day that it is high time that I gave a full account of myself. Also, the misunderstanding with Dave C in one topic helped prompt my decision. (http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=15981 )

Anyway,

Hi! I'm Rae. I am a 23 year old female software engineer for a government contractor. I live in Gaithersburg, MD; 15 miles NW of central Washington DC. I have a Bengal cat (see my icon <---) Teddy and I want to get a dog in the near future to train to be a sound alert dog for myself (I'm 65% high pitch deaf, yay for not being able to hear fire alarms. Oops, I forgot that is a bad thing).

And of course, I have my fish. I currently have 3 P.oblonga, 1 B.striata, 1 B.almorhae, and 3 Otocinclus vestitus in a 10 gallon tank. I didn't realize when I got the botias that they were communal fish. I also have a 5.5 gallon q-tank that I am keeping my guppies in. I have 2 adult guppies and probably 12-14 sub adults. I recently had a die off and put my guppies in the q-tank for treatment and I left them in there, for the time being, because the levels in both tanks are stable. Plus I want to continue a salt treatment on the guppies.

I am in the process of preparing two larger tanks (both 30 gallon longs, base size 36" by 12"). One will be a tank with a sponge filter for the Pangios, Guppies, and some Otos. For the other tank, I want to create a small river manifold for my botias. I was thinking about adding some Otos (though I don't know how they will do in a river tank) and some dither fish as well.

I want to upgrade to a 55+ gallon tank within a year *crosses fingers* and hopefully get a wide variety of loaches.

I originally was a crazy guppy lady (still am) but I am an almost certifiable loachaholic at this point. Thanks for all the information that everyone has given to me and all the help on the path to being a loach lover.

Sincerely,
Rae

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Welcome, they are crazy on that side. Welcome to the sane :roll: side of the site, and btw I keep a female tri Bengal and a male Snow.It is very obvious that you are a girl to all that listen......:wink:

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:34 pm

LOL Thanks I didn't think I "chat" like a guy would. I try to stay as true to my own voice as possible when typing.
Rae

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Tinman wrote:I keep a female tri Bengal and a male Snow.
Can I see some pics? Teddy's mom is a spotted snow.
Rae

Sea Sprite

Post by Sea Sprite » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:56 pm

Hey Rae. For the record I always took you as female, without the need for a pic. And to me it seemed obvious that when you said you don't 'swing' that way...it was in response to Graeme posting a pic of a woman offering to 'keep you warm' at night. LOL! I only ventured into the open forum 1 time, when I was still 'new' here.

It is nice to meet you! I've only been posting here a month. I had been frequenting Petco & visiting their clown loaches, when 1 day I noticed teeny fry swimming among a pair of them. They netted the 3 frys for me & we all (the store employees & I) thought they were clowns. I was soooo disappointed when I realized they were not.

But since then I've purchased a 75g, (because I don't feel my 55g would be large enough), built a rivertank manifold that uses 2 power heads, added another with an attachment that really makes a current...and I believe it is clown loach ready now (but am waiting until a few dys before Christmas).
I'm in LOVE with them! I'm definitely a loachaholic :lol:
Last Sun I set up my new Fluval FX5...3 days ago I added 6 little pangio kuhlii & today I added 2 boeseman's rainbowfish.
Last edited by Sea Sprite on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pierydys

Post by pierydys » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:10 pm

Bengals for the win! We have a blue marbled girl of the long-furred variety. Her siblings were all proper-looking Bengals, so obviously we went for the freakish one ;-)

Welcome to loachiness! :-D

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:23 pm

My breeder's mom has a bengal that is black on black spots. Looks like a little jaguar.
Rae

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:51 am

A belated welcome from me, too. :D

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:33 am

hi Rae, welcome.

mick

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:46 am

Welcome. (I knew you were a girl too. :) )

Start a Bengal tread in the OT, so we can all see all the Bengals everyone owns.

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 am

As requested, a bengal thread.

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?p=145988#145988

Enjoy!
Rae

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:52 am

welcome to the sane side, Rae. Tinman has it sussed :lol:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:02 pm

who's been tampering with my post?.

mick

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:33 pm

mickthefish wrote:who's been tampering with my post?.

mick
Your post? What do you mean?
Rae

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:55 pm

oh it's not you Rae, only mod and me can edit it, and i did'nt.
so i wanted to know why.

don't worry luv.

mick