Indian Polka Dot Botia ("Botia cf. kubotai")

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Indian Polka Dot Botia ("Botia cf. kubotai")

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:09 am

This is a bit of a strange one, and I have titled the post with the name that is being used in the trade right now. Strange because B. kubotai is native to Myanmar, and these Indian B. rostrata-like loaches are being compared to them. The supplier claims they are a new species, and I am waiting to find out further details on collection location. They are definitely not man-made hybrids, these are wild caught.

I have uploaded rather a lot of photographs to try and show the variation among the specimens I received last week. These fish are not larger than 2" TL. At first glance when acclimatising them I thought they were the usual B. rostrata, but the next day when I took a closer look, I saw differences. This supplier also has standard B. rostrata and standard B. kubotai in stock at the moment, and he is one of the best out there. His stock list is extensive (with so many rare species) and he has no reason to supply B. rostrata under two separate names if they weren't slightly different/from different locations. Whether or not they are a brand new species as claimed, is another matter!

To the eye they looked to have a silvery base colour, but in the pics you will see golden colours at certain angles. I'll number the pics so that if anyone wants to talk about a certain specimen, it'll be easy to refer back. The loaches stirred up quite a bit of debris in the photo tank, and apologies for not having been able to find time to clean the pics up.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:22 am

By the heck that is a lot of photos Emma,

If I saw these in a shop I would be more than happy to ID them as B.rostrata.. They may well be from a different collection source than others in the past and a few seem to have more than a normal variation in patterning.
Some like the one in pic 36 seem to have a more B.kubotai like patterning and others are more normal..

The ones with the dotted pattern remind me of the fish that Mick or Mark (I think it was one of them anyway) posted the other week which when I saw the pic was certain was a Kubotai...
Last edited by Doc on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:27 am

Your a bit tight on the photo's Emma you could have squeezed a couple more in :lol: :lol:

They do look nice fish and I think there may be similarities to these:

The front one developed to look like this:

The back fish developed to look like this:

And now looks like this:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 am

:lol: I tried to put a warning about the amount of pics in the title, but it wouldn't fit! Well done to those who make it through. :wink:

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:33 am

Mad Duff wrote: Image
If I saw any fish like this in a LFS I would say they were Botia kubotai..
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:34 am

Can of worms :arrow: officially open.

:wink:

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:46 am

Emma Turner wrote:Can of worms :arrow: officially open.

:wink:
Most definately :lol:

I may well have to reserve some of those Emma for a trip down in the new year :wink:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:49 am

No probs, they won't be going on sale just yet anyway (will deworm them etc first). Just say the word, and I will reserve however many you would like. :wink:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:34 am

to my untrained eye, i would say it's just a location difference of rostrata that Emma has,
i'm sure that these exporters have collectors from loads of areas catching most of the time the loaches we all see in our shops.
an example was when Niel got his shipment of young almorhae in there was not two alike in the same tank, he must have had at least 300 almorhae imported, no ones going to tell me they were all caught in the same location.

mick

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:39 am

I can see why they named them the way they did, theirs a right old mixture in that batch. Some B rostrata,B kubotai, B sp aff rostrata lookers.

Great pictures of a very interesting Loach! 8)

pierydys

Post by pierydys » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:16 am

Same loach. SAME LOACH! o.O

The photos show the gold more than the eye does, hence why I was saying they were rostrata in my thread. I have one that looks really kubotai-like and most that don't have any lateral spiking of the stripes. Crazy active, climbing the sides of the tank and trying to hurl themselves out.

Am now hanging on your every post for more information on where they are from.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 am

a can of worms no doubt.

but wonderfull pictures. these pictures will be archived i hope, so we can still use them when these fish get more mature.

i am wondering if i can fit some in my tank. i love my rostrata.

they look more rostrata than kub at the moment, i wonder why the kub label?

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:29 am

Hi Emma

Whereabouts in India are they supposed to be from?

I very much doubt they will be B. kubotai but probably one of the rostrata complex. Please refer to my article on Botias for a long discussion on the fact that there are at least 3 'forms' of rostrata and we dont yet actually know for definite which is the proper one; or if they are all rostrata and just variable populations. If they are distinct then the rostrata in the hobby is probably not the true rostrata anyway.

The adults of one of the rostrata complex (the one from southern Meghalaya and northern Bangladesh) is similar to adult kubotai in pattern. That may be why they are being sold as Indian kubotai. If they are that 'species' then they will be very nice when adult (see pictures by Andrew Rao in my article).

It may be an idea to now post the pdf of my article on LOL if you are interested? You could then link it to the gallery pages of the relevant 'species'.
Lord Foul The Despiser, Lord of the Flies, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles, Satan, Iblis, Samael, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred, Azazel, Anubis, Pluto, Hades, etc

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:00 am

That would be great if we could host the article on LOL. :mrgreen: I am still waiting on collection location. My supplier's wife had a baby this week, so he is not around to answer Q's at the moment. As soon as I have info, I will post it here.

TDO, I have a copy of your pdf on file, is it ok to upload it to the site? I take it you would like to be credited with your human pseudonym? :wink:

Emma

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:56 am

Yes TDO, please post the pdf. We are interested.