incorrectly labelled

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:50 pm

i looked in petsmart today and they had botia rostrata labelled as yoyos, and garra cambodgiensis as flying foxes, with a few flying foxes mixed in. they were all really expensive. they were selling XL clown loaches, which were only about 2" long. a member of satff overhead me making a comment of disbelief about the clowns being XL, and told me they get a bit bigger :shock:

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:22 am

personally a xl clown to me is atleast 8inch but alot of shops seem to think anything over 3inches is xl for some stupid reason lol
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:42 am

in most of our shops they put xl for any over 4 inches and xxl for fish 8+ inches.

mick

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 am

In Rhyl 2 yrs ago, They had 6 inch clowns 'xl', now they have 3-4ish inch as 'xl' and the price for both those sizes are the same. Although they really are the only place near me that actually have healthy clowns :)

Ashleigh

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:56 pm

someone should defo set out standards for xl and xxl sizes altho even a 12inch clown isnt really xl as they can get larger then that anyway

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:35 pm

I just had a WONDERFUL find!

I found what the pet shop had labeled as "sting ray plecos" but were actually one of the sucker-bodied hillstream loaches! I paid $3.99 apiece for them. I don't know what they are priced at normally but this is the only place I had actually seen them. I just had to get a few of them because they were so adorable that I couldn't leave them. I ended up getting 5.

I don't have any pictures because they are too small to have my crappy camera focus on them but they are a light tan with TINY brown spots. No reticulated pattern or anything (though their full coloration could not be showing because they are all about an inch long. I will be setting up a quarentine tank for them tonight :)
Rae

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Possibly Beaufortia kweichowensis
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/be ... ichowensis
Obviously a pic would id it correctly for you :)

One of my fav hillstreams by far, often overlooked. You might want to have a search through the records for Matrins manifold, in my experience these don't really thrive unless provided with river tank conditions, obviously a high output internal would give the same results :D

Ashleigh

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:14 pm

I will be setting up a river tank soon. They should be done quarantining by then. I want to put my botia (B.striata and B.almorhae) in the tank as well. Are these little guys compatible with Botias?

I don't know if this is the right one. My guys are a little see-through at the moment but that could be because they are youngsters.
Rae

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:12 pm

Usually in a regular store, if I find Hillstreams they are Beaufortia kweichowensis and they are about $8.99. Was your LFS a chain store I could check out locally like PetSmart, Petco, . . .?

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:24 pm

No sorry, it is a mid size, privately owned place that sells everything, (fish, cats, dogs, birds, rodents, reptiles) I normally don't shop there because the puppies they have come from mills and BYB (back yard breeders) but it was on my way home and I was OUT of litter for my kitty. I just happened to stop in the fish section and see these little gems. There were about 20 of them in the tank. I took five. They also had Striatas (Don't have room for more right now) and clowns that looked fairly healthy and the SMALLEST dojo loaches I have ever seen (I mean two inches long). They also had 5-6 12 banded loaches that were so skinny that their stomachs where almost touching their spines and they had a hard time sitting upright (they were in a separate tank). If I was in a better situation (tank wise) I would have probably told the manager that these guys were going to croak and only SERIOUS intervention would help them and taken them off his hands for a pittance.
Rae

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:16 am

Not the best with Botia as temp tolerances are different. Have a look at the profile link I gave you. Although not the exact species, most have the same temp ranges. They ideally will need a tank setup especially for them.

Young hillstreams have very noticable patterns even at less than 1inch. Hillies Emma bred had very distinct patterns at a few mm long. Most likely the fish are stressed and thats not why they are showing colour.

Its great to find little gems like this, but they really should be left unless you know what your buying and know you can provide the conditions they require.

Ashleigh

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:00 am

Gotcha, their upper range of temp tolerance, 75 degrees, is at the lower range of my botias, 73 for Striata and 76 for almorhae. I'll set up a tank especially for them.
Rae

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:02 am

I looked at the little guys in my q-tank today and they seemed alot happier. They also had more coloration and looked a lot like the link you give me Ashleigh except they don't have a black ring along the edge of their fins.
Rae

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Get some pic's up of the bad boys then :wink:

Hillstreams are addictive btw.. just for future warning :P

Ashleigh

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Maybe after I get the security deposit from my new roomie tomorrow ;) the only camera I have right now is my cell camera and it is crap.
Rae