incorrectly labelled

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

raving_wayne

incorrectly labelled

Post by raving_wayne » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:03 pm

went to a LFS today and saw what they had listed in the tank as a zebra loach so i looked for the loach and guess what i found in its stead a 4inch tiger loach the thing was huge. when i asked the keeper if he had any of the zebra's he points to the tiger and says thats a zebra, i reply thats not a zebra m8 its a tiger which is aggressive, he says im wrong and hes already sold 3 to some guy along with 4 large clowns...

my point is why are keepers not informed as to what they are really gettin in stock or why are they not researching any fish they get?? is it just down to laziness or do they just not care?

Rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:09 pm

I've noticed that almost NO ONE has had any Striatas in recently. I guess that suppliers are trying to fill orders to ill informed shop owners who are trying to please their customers.
Rae

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:15 pm

this is the closest tiger i can find to what they was tryin to pass off as a striata

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/syncrossus-helodes

and from the zebra pics i have seen that defo isnt a zebra and infact looks nothing even like a zebra full stop...

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

The only color that Striatas have are brown, black, and white, plus the stripes are MUCH thinner. NO SPOTS or primary colors. You should take a picture of a real Zebra and bring it in to the shop keeper.
Rae

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:26 pm

In my area, I only know two stores where they care about what the fish is. Informing the customer is not important, because it may stop the sale. The independent stores are closing due to the bad economy.

The big stores only care ordinary fish, and even there, the info is wrong.

BumbleBee gobies and Dragon gobies sold as fresh water fish. My bichir was supposed to be a flake eater.

I actually saw Chinese High fins for sale the other day. What are people thinking?

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:36 pm

As a hobby, exotic fish keeping is becoming popular. The sad thing is, like many dogs, cats, and other animals, people don't do their research beforehand and rely on the shop owners, whose livelihood depends on the sale, to tell them what to do and how to do it.

I only know of one LFS in my area that really does right by the fish by telling the customer what is best for the fish.

There is another in Delaware near where my parents live that sells reptiles and fish that really cares about what happens to the stock they sell. I was in this store one time with my sister (I converted her into a crazy guppy lady) and this stupid guy was in there buying a baby iguana (if you don't know, these lizards are tricky to care for properly) and the shop owner is telling the guy to feed her squash, melons, beets, spinach, the occasional mealworms, etc. and the guy says "Ok so all I need to do is go to the store and get a head of romaine lettuce." The owner told me and my sister if he didn't need the money from the guy and the customer good will he wouldn't have sold the lizard to the guy. At least he did the right thing and tried to educate the guy on how to care for the poor little thing.
Rae

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:47 pm

In University we had a shop like this up the road- guy didn't know or care. We made out like bandits- once bought a breeding pair of SA leaf-fish as blue-gouramis. They were housed with more actual gouramis and a heap of little tetras... less of a heap every day, that is. Those horny little leaves a' spawnin' kept us in beer for a couple of years.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:50 pm

That was nice for you. I still feel sorry for the animals that don't make it into good, knowledgable homes though (or even into homes of people who even care what happens to them).
Rae

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:06 pm

i think if the person buying the fish/reptile is explained to correctly it really does make a difference, i have many times inturrpted a sale to add a little info for the person buying lol really does annoy the keeper but im thinking of the fish and the other fish in the buyers tank.. i have even wittnessed a guy buying a new tank and fish the same day to stock it and the keeper was more then willing until i mentioned it needed cycling first, the poor guy buying new nothing about it whatsoever but he did listen to me and took my advice he still paid for his fish but left them in the store for a further 2 weeks, i would have prefferred a month but even 2 weeks is better then instant. i think the keepers should be licenced to sell aquatics and trained in some way to have a good knowledge or atleast access to one to be able to sell fish and reptiles would defo make some people look up and listen for a change

Rave

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:42 pm

There are some of us out there who really do care about what we are doing. :wink: http://www.loaches.com/articles/is-this ... -the-world Come and visit us sometime, Rave. We'll be organising another of our LOL get togethers some time in the new year and the more the merrier. :D

Emma

P.S. All aquatics shops in the UK have to be licenced to sell livestock by their local councils. However, some local authorities know more about fish than others.....
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:35 pm

think i may have to take ya up on that one emma mind you think peterborough is a far distance from kent lol
infact its 130 miles lol
Rave

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:32 pm

Wish I could come visit. However it would be about a 5000mile trip for me.
Rae

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:50 am

Where I get my fish they told me that they are told to tell people that dragon gobies and mollies are freshwater fish and not to even mention the word brackish. And they wonder why the gobies ALWAYS die in the store ><.
"Life is short and hard like a body building elf."

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:58 am

well does make you wonder as today in a pet store i was told that brackish water means dirty water lol i laughed at the guy and left. he tried so hard to convince me that brackish means you dont need the filter running as well as you do for normal freshwater fish.... these people really do make me so mad but i have o admit i did see the funny side to it today lol

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:01 am

I just bought 5 Bristlenoses for $10, because they were labeled as common plecos. I even showed the sales person how to tell the difference. Bristlenoses are usually $10-25 each. These ones are super pretty: black with white spots.

I got a Golden Killie for $1.49, because they lost the label. They are usually $5 and up.