Dithers for loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pywakyt

Dithers for loaches?

Post by Pywakyt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:01 am

I just this very evening found out what a dither fish is. Do loaches need these and besides tetras and danios are there others? Heres my tank info

100g 6ft long
350g filter
72 deg
5 clowns
1 pleco 6-7 inch
about a million guppies lol..j/k about 30
1 dojo...looking for a friend but I can only find albinos and I dont like them
1 khulie...I think have not seen him since I bought him
3 glass catfish
1 red tailed shark
1 botia

I am trying to get my boy friend to let me set up my 20g tank so I can put the dojo in it since you guys recently informed me that clowns and dojos dont like the same temp.. But anyway so an dither advise would be good. Thank you.
"Life is short and hard like a body building elf."

pierydys

Post by pierydys » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:44 am

I use a 12-pack of harlequin rasboras. Wanted to stay in the same biotope and they're just about as friendly and harmless as you can get :-)

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:16 am

Hi Pywakyt, and welcome to the forum. :)

I, too, think that the harlequin rasboras are wonderful. I have 5, and they school together constantly. They are beautiful.

Your guppies can also make great dithers. I've used them as dithers before, plus they keep replacing themselves so generously. :wink:

Is your botia a Botia modesta?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:28 am

At this point the Guppies are your dithers.
Other fish that might work:
Barbus pentazona. Other Barbs may work, but watch out for Tiger Barbs, they do nip, even in larger groups, and watch their water temperature requirements. Many are cooler water fish.
Rasboras: several species: in the larger tank look at Scissors, and R. boropetensis, R heteromorpha are a great too, and a few close relatives.
Tetras: In the larger tank Congos might be a good choice. Again, watch the temperature preferences. If the tank is covered Hatchets are an interesting addition.
Danios in general tend to be too zippy to act as dithers. In general you want a calm relaxed school of fish to show any shy fish that there are no predators in sight. The fast action of the Danios (just about all species) can make it look like there is something scaring them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:09 pm

I have a couple of dozen harlequins as dithers for my clowns and it's a striking sight when they shoal.
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:27 pm

My botia is the kind sold at petsmart I have no idea which kind he looks like umm black with kinda yellowish spot and stripes.

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:45 pm

sounds like a kub to me

does he look like this
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:39 pm

Are you sure the Dojos you find are Albino? I find Gold Dojos -- they are pink or gold and have black eyes. Not albino. They are just as nice and I find my Goldies a bit more friendly. Love all my Dojos, and they don't care what color their friends are. Your dojo needs buddies. Mine all dog pile. They are never by themselves. My eels dog pile with them which is funny. Add some floating plants like anacharis and horwort for your Dojos' pleasure.

I like my Rummynoses and my harlequins as dithers. My biggest problems is mine are big and getting older. I have a hard time finding Harlequins or Rummynoses the same size. They don't care about size, but other fish in my tank think, Yummy!

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:24 pm

Yes looks exactly like that kub pic..my botia I mean. My dojo def. needs a friend I have had him for 5 years and he has always been the only. Does my botia need friends to?

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 pm

Oh and I bet those albino ones are gold dojos. I should buy my guy some friends...You guys are a bad influence lol.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:36 am

The Dojo and the Kubs both need friends. As many as you can safely fit in the tank. Usually five is considered the minimum for the Kubs. I think for the Dojo a minimum of three is good. More is better. Mine all hang out, but you can tell that some like others more. You'll get used to the look of the Gold Dojos, and they are sweet and funny. Mine whisker me when I put my hands in the tank. They remind me of puppies. I adore them. As soon as you put them in the tank, you will see how happy your Dojo and Kub are. Make sure you quarantine them. It will be like a long lost family reunion.