Planning next botia tank -- suggestions invited

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:38 am

Actually, I checked both glass and acrylic and did not find a 150g which was "wide" but not "tall", so I went with the most standard 125g (yeah, I know that 180g would have been somewhat better, but it is also yet more work with water changes and I'm already at my limit....this is not the only tank).

This is how the things stand right now:

Filters: there will be two Cascade's, the idea is to hook them in parallel and provide some unidirectional flow (this is blatantly stolen from from river tank recommendations by Jim and Martin...I'm not making a river tank, but a bit in the same direction.) Cascade, not Eheim, since it appears that I'm getting a slightly better filter for about half the price this way.

Cycling: BioSpira is on my "never again" list. Just an overpriced version of the infamous Cycle. For the last two tanks I've cycled (29g and 10g) I took filter material AND sand from the lfs, got a full cycle within 24 hours, and then ran the tanks for a week on ammonia and heavy drugs (to kill undesirable lifeforms). Still have not decided if this is what I'll do this time...the alternative is to charge the new filter off my own existing tank but it does not really add to safety since i still need the plants from the store.

Plants I'm still thinking about. Pleco people on TFF are saying that I can have them as long as they are densily planted where the darned tank is not likely to roam.. I think it will be simply java fern/java moss on driftwood and a couple of large swords he is not likely to destroy. Probably some bamboo too, this cuts down on water changes.

(The pleco is going to be a real problem for the next 10-15 years....Two worst mistakes were to get him and then give him levamisole..which nearly doubled his size. :cry: I also have to build him a cave somehow.)

I'm still not fully sure what I'm doing. The smart thing may be to just let it sit for a couple of weeks and may be I'll visualize what I want. The only real pressure right now is that the yoyo tank is seriously overcrowded (they grew way too fast) but hopefully they can survive just a bit longer there...

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:07 am

to address the clowns + modesta/tiger loach issue:

I did have three modestas and three yo yos together for a time, the modestas were boss, most definitely, but they did not do damage. Later three small clowns joined the party and they were intimidated pretty badly by the modestas. Still no damage, but they were definitely not comfortable around them, though the modestas seemed to enjoy having them around to 'play' with.

Tigers? I don't think I'd mix them with the clowns if you want the clowns to be comfortable. On the other hand, if you keep more than 5 they will entertain themselves though they will still terrorize more peaceful fish. The question is do you have space for 5+ 8 inch tigers along with your growing clowns.

My yo yos were ok with the modestas...but I did mysteriously lose most of my dayglo tetras one by one. Eventually, I caught the modesta (however, there was some question as to whether said 'modesta' was really an Eos) in the act. Some tigers will also hunt in packs (it's in the Book) but I don't remember which ones off hand this is common of. I also know that tigers will co habitate with African ciclids (I know the water issues should preclude this-I wouldn't do it) with no problems holding their own. They will pile up in a hole like clowns, but have definite territorial issues whenever moving about the tank.

If you want tigers/modestas/eos I would set up an agressive tank for them and watch the fur fly 8) rather than try to mix them with more peaceful botia.

Also, I would not put horsies in with agressive fish. They will have trouble getting enough food, and will spend most of their time hiding in the sand. They may well do that anyway, but they definitely will if they are faced with agression from other fish.

Want a strawberry pot for your pleco? Justin--who gave me my plecos--had two clay strawberry pots upside down in his tank. The plecos (and the botia) called it home. It is tallish, with holes in the sides for the plants to hang out of, but they became the doors for the inhabitants. Personally, I don't care for the look of it and it's too big for my little 55, but his fish loved it--especially the big plec. He was a rhino pleco (not as big as yours will ultimately get) but I had to take him to my lfs (who made sure he got to a nice home with a BIG tank) you are welcome to it if you'd like ...

Just my two cents. 8)

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks a lot, Shari,

I think modestas and tigers are out, I've already reached the conclusion and your arguments clinch it. I guess this means that I'll never have either -- another large tank is not an option (I had to throw out a few hundred books to make the space for the new tank)...oh well. I'm still playing with the idea of having some other type of loaches in the new tank. I guess Horses are not a good idea either,,,yoyo's will suppress them :?: . I'll go take another look at the taeniaps but probably the smart thing to do is to stop and leave some room for another clown or two some time later.

(L.taeniaps were last seen in a remote corner of a small fs out of the way. With their price tag they are probably still there, nobody sane would pay $50 for a fish that you cannot see.)

Hmmm, I think I may want the pot. I don't care about the appearance too much either, as long as the fish will take it. Sure you don't want to keep it? -- you never know what kind of fish/tank you'll have in a year..

Sorry for your rhino: these are nice and were on my "love to have" list for a while...not going to happen. Not so sure about the sizes: rhinos supposed to get to 18", mine is growing in a strange fashion: he stabilized at 6.5" and I thought he is done (he was 1.5 yrs already), levamisole inspired him into rapidly growing another 4" (which, incidentally, collapsed the Ph in the tank -- he eats a lot). Now, at 2 years, he really should stop growing already...

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:24 pm

This is a very good topic. I have a 125 gallon that Im going to set up in the future for my clowns and yoyo's. I'll watching this thread to see how everything goes. Have you thought about taking pictures and all that stuff for step by step setup?

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:12 pm

Right, I remember now that we have very similar fish. So you also decided on separating the Kubotai's from the larger breeds?
It is too early for pictures, but if I do anything interesting, I'll document it.
(And I'll likely be very slow on setting this tank. I want it to be functional and to complicate things I may have to set up yet another hillstream tank first ... this will be the 5th :oops: )

A very dumb question: I vaguely recall seeing somewhere .. I think LOL .. a note on getting sand from a place other than a fish store. Does anyone per chance remember where it was? I think it was some article on clowns...

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:23 pm

I got mine at a pool store. Pool filter sand. $4 for 20lbs. Nice and rounded, sinks right down, not as fine or hard to clean as play sand. Can't tell what color it is till you get it home, unless it's in a plastic bag. Some is more grey some more tan, etc. etc. Plants and fish love the stuff 8)

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks a lot, Shari! :D
(this would save about $80..)

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:06 pm

mikev wrote:Right, I remember now that we have very similar fish. So you also decided on separating the Kubotai's from the larger breeds?
It is too early for pictures, but if I do anything interesting, I'll document it.
(And I'll likely be very slow on setting this tank. I want it to be functional and to complicate things I may have to set up yet another hillstream tank first ... this will be the 5th :oops: )

A very dumb question: I vaguely recall seeing somewhere .. I think LOL .. a note on getting sand from a place other than a fish store. Does anyone per chance remember where it was? I think it was some article on clowns...
I havent decided yet. Im thinking of letting the kubotia have the 55 gallon they are in now. Like I said, they are getting along great with the clowns right now, so I might move them with the clowns and put something else in the 55. There are a lot of choices, and Im like you, it will take me a while to set my 125 up too.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:34 pm

OK, the current state is this:

The tank has water and has been cycled. I'm going to continue running it on Ammonia only for at least another week, to make sure it is fully stable. Tank cannot be used yet anyway, since one of the driftwood pieces refuses to sink...I'll give it a few more days before replacing.

I intend to plant it after all, it seems from the current threads that doing it will make it considerably more stable in case of emergencies. Will find out just how bad a pleco is with plants.

There is a problem with lighting and a suggestion is invited:

I got two single-strip 36" lamps for it. I don't think this is enough for even swords (The tank is 72" long), so these are useless.

The two options available at the store are:
2 36" double-strips
2 30" double-strips
(The second option happens to be half-price, and more importantly allows me to have darker corners which loaches probably will appreciate)
There may be some other options elsewhere.

Any suggestions? I need enough light for at least swords and java fern, but I probably should not have too much.)