Pangio or Misgurnus or ...? + tiger made it

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

wasserscheu

Pangio or Misgurnus or ...? + tiger made it

Post by wasserscheu » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:57 am

For almost 2 weeks I thought I’m having 4 Pangio cf. anguillaris in quarantine, but 1 of them rather reminds me of a Misgurnus mizolepis

here the LOL pic:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/mi ... -mizolepis

It is shorter in proportion to an oblonga. Total length may be just under 2”. The headshape and the way it swims is different to the pangio I know. I currently have various striped pangio kuhlii and black and cinnamon oblonga to compare, plus those 3 new anguillaris in the q-tank.

I have looked through the spez. index a couple of times, but can not find any Pangio spec. that fits this fish.

btw, they were sold as muraeniformis

What do you think?

the swimming is different they “wiggle” less

here the difference in proportion to the Pangio cf. anguillaris on the right- the anguillaris is thinner and longer.

here still in the bag

For comparison the Pangio cf. anguillaris
one seems to have been nibbed on, I’ll keep an eye on it

They like “hanging out”

Last edited by wasserscheu on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfram

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Looks like Pangio sp 1 to me

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-unknown-1

Nice fish :) Look nice healthy and chunky :D

Ashleigh
Last edited by Ashleigh on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Hello Wolfram,

a "good to see" different between (small) Misgurnus and Pangio are the caudalfin, Misgurnus has a convex fin, Pangio a concav. And Pangios have never 10 Barbels, Misgurnus always.

I can't tell you what species is your Loach, but it is a Pangio. And it is definitly no "muraeniformis" because the name "muraeniformis" is not valid and a synonyme for "shelfordii".

It seems that you get the brown shape of P. anguillaris. Kottelat wrote about two colorings of P. anguillaris, one with a spotted (I would say more greyish) back and one with a plain brown back.

I have found the plain brown anguillaris only one times (2 species):)
And I have one (bad) pic with both shapes: Here you can see what I've tried to explain...:wink:

Bye,
Thomas
Last edited by Thomas on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:56 pm

You need to put the hanging out pic in the funny loach thread. Very cute and funny!

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Ashleigh, that´s funny, I looked at the "unknown sp 01" a couple of times before my initial post and did not think it would fit. Now once you said it, I checked again, and found it fitting perfect, except the colour (which often does not mean much). Thanks, you are right.

Thomas, danke dir, thanks for defining it as a pangio and the detailed information. That's a great picture with both anguillaris on it.

Tanja, thanks. Those guys only look big on the pic's, they are tiny and one must look twice to see them at all. Took a lot of shots to get them like that. I hope they make it through quarantine.
Wolfram

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:07 pm

The weather loaches (dojos) have thicker, longer, and more barbels than the kuhlis. I'm still a little green here, but I have both species in my tanks, and they are very different, although when juvenile, they look more similar. Also, I think it is wonderful to see pangios with different colour forms...I so far have only seen the all black, and the usual pinkish-yellow/black form. Loaches seem like they are quite hardy. I'm sure they will make it through quarantine and give you plenty of enjoyment. They are so funny to watch!

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:07 pm

soul-hugger wrote: ... Loaches seem like they are quite hardy. I'm sure they will make it through quarantine ...
thanks soul-hugger, I had issues a year ago with striped kuhlii.

And after a break of about one year of buying fish, I got carried away again...

I suspect pangio, which are fresh caught, to bring in a bunch of bacteria from the wild, which domesticated fish have a hard time to cope with.
So the pangio were fresh caught, but the 5 Syncrossus hymenophysa I bought at a different store, where there already for months.
I think I made a mistake of putting them into the same q-tank. 3 of 5 died, even though they were gaining weight the last 2 weeks. One more is imo not going to making it and only the 2nd smallest of the 5 is still looking good, swimming between the q-tanks. I was very disappointed and mad too. Other than that, they were very lively &loveley but left all the small ones alone. The alpha Syncr. did get into argues with the one Garra fl., there was some heavy guesteres and some impact, but the Garra took off in the long run, to avoid serious fights.

Now the one sick Sync. seems to get protected from a Schistura Balteata, who hardly moves from the Syncr.'s side. When I make a fast move the Schisture covers the slot where the Syncr. hides in - that's quite repeatable and really looks as if the Schisture were watching out…

That S. balt. btw ist the only one with yellow tail (the 4 in the main tanks have all lila tails). Also does he (I think it’s a he?) have a white spot between each ey and snout. Those I have not seen before, they looked like possible scars, but for 2 weeks did not change their shape. I saw the spots right away in the store already.

The Schistura on the whatch post

Here in memory the largest one (left me today), I folded out the spines for it's last pic.

Wolfram

andre

Post by andre » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:00 pm

WOW!! What a great photo Wolfram!!! 8)

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:53 am

Thanks Andre,

... the tiger who got "looked after" by the schistura is now active again, I have no clou what was going on. So there are at least 2 of them now.
Wolfram