Pepper Loach ID please (New With picture comparison)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Pepper Loach ID please (New With picture comparison)

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Could you give me a positive ID? These were sold as "Pepper Loaches". I have two, both were thin, but filling out well -- getting chunky. They sift food through their gills and like shrimp pellets. They each have a spot near their tail fin. Slightly different in color -- the second is a bit browner. This is a picture of the less shy one. From this picture can you give me a scientific name? Thanks. :)

They like to sit in the sand. Lots of plants and hiding places, but would rather sit in the sand. They are about 3".

Here is an updated picture. You can see he is filling out well.
Look who showed up? My 2nd "Pepper Loach". I think he is a Dojo.
Last edited by starsplitter7 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:20 pm

I firstly thought of Lepidocephalichthys when I first saw these, but Im not 100%. They look awfully skinny though in the pics-I can never understand why pet stores think that the particular fish you have photographed is 'healthy' :evil: Glad to hear they are fattening up :D

But yea possibly Lepidocephalichthys but need a confirmation :wink: as for which one... no idea

Ashleigh

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:32 pm

Hello Tanja,

Right, it's a Lepidocephalichthys guntea

Thomas

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:45 pm

i agree with guntea, i have one very similar but i have'nt been able to put any weight on the fish, it's been dosed with everything i thought it could be but to no avail but it eats like a horse.
i hope you fair better Tanja.

mike

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Thank you three so much. Could you tell me what features you look for for the ID? How do you tell them apart from Dojos? Are these related to Dojos? I know they like warmer temperatures. Is it just the general shape that shows a similarity? Not related at all?

This LFS is excellent. Normally they only sell happy, healthy, fat animals, but they are going out of business on Thursday and so they have no time to fatten up their animals for sale. I basically bought every loach they had left. I have never lost a fish I have bought from them. I am so bummed they are closing. Luckily these guys have doubled in size.

I intend to go back on Monday and pick up any left over Glass Catfish, shrimp and Killies. I pick up strays from stores, and then look for mates for them. I had one glass cat for a month or so, and I have never seen such a happy fish to get a friend. I am working on filling out the school. But these are very expensive fish -- usually $10-15 a fish in this area.

I was worried about her 4 gigantic Pacus (they take in monster fish): Lola is 28 years old and very big, but the wonderful 0wner has found a home for every fish in the store.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Mick, mine have filled out nicely in a short period of time. They need to get a bit bigger, but so far so good. They eat well, thankfully.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:14 pm

I had this species in my first river thank. They were great fish that ate well and didn't bother anyone. They did hide often in the gravel so I had to be careful when I vacumed.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:44 pm

I have two others in another tank, just didn't know what they were. They hide really well and have often thought they were gone to have them appear weeks later. I do adore them. I hope when I add the new ones that they will gang up together and feel more comfy.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 am

hi Tanja, here's a couple of pics of my skinny one against a fish out of the same batch thats filled out well, as you can see.
there's nothing wrong with either fish but you can see the difference.

mick

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:27 am

Mick, that big one can only be described as a 'brute' :lol:

I have had the same problem with one of my clown loach-Ive had him for several yrs, dosed with a number of parasite meds, antibiotics etc with no joy. He eats like a big, but he has not filled out, although far far improved from when I got him. Im wondering if maybe if he was damaged in some way before I got him, whether the parasite burden was heavy such that he never recovered 100%, who knows-he was a sorry sight back then so I wouldn't be surprised.

Ashleigh

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:37 am

Wow! They don't even look like the same species. Amazing!

Batch

Post by Batch » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi,
He (she?) looks alot like my guys. old pics:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=pepper I really need to post some more of these guys...

Great loaches. Mine don't seem very interested in hiding. They mostly lay
around on large leaves like they're lying in hammocks :P until feeding time, then they go crazy. Fun to watch, but rough on some of the smaller plants.
(but they look like they're having fun).
Cheers,
batch

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:11 pm

I have had the same problem with one of my clown loach-Ive had him for several yrs, dosed with a number of parasite meds, antibiotics etc with no joy. He eats like a big, but he has not filled out, although far far improved from when I got him. Im wondering if maybe if he was damaged in some way before I got him, whether the parasite burden was heavy such that he never recovered 100%, who knows-he was a sorry sight back then so I wouldn't be surprised.
I have see this problem in other types of fish, especially discus if they have not been well feed or water quality was no up to scratch while they were developing they become stunted and do not thrive, they are also more susceptable to disease/parasites even though they appear to eat well. I don't know if this applies to loaches as well, but just food for thought.

Cheers
Debbie

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:28 am

valkyrie wrote:
I have see this problem in other types of fish, especially discus if they have not been well feed or water quality was no up to scratch while they were developing they become stunted and do not thrive, they are also more susceptable to disease/parasites even though they appear to eat well. I don't know if this applies to loaches as well, but just food for thought.

Cheers
Debbie

The problem with Stripe is that I bought him in crap condition and hes never really fully recovered-pinched in head, lethargic and just plain awful looking. Hes been treated countless times, fed constantly with constant water changes since in my care. He does look like a healthy loach, weight on the belly etc, just around the head theres flesh, but not enough flesh to 'round' his head off completly when you look at it from certain angles. He has improved to this stage and no more and has gained 1-2inches (hes a respectable 7.5-8 inches now) in the years that I have had him and from what I can see, he is thriving-he is in constant battle with my alpha-I don't think he likes being second in command :lol:

I suppose you could call it stunting in a way, I just think he was in such bad condition to begin with that he will never fully recover, although I hope some day that he will :D

Ashleigh

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Ashleigh

Its nice to hear that stripe is doing well with the TLC you are giving him/her. I have at times had to rescue fish from either pet shops or other peoples tanks. It is very rewarding to see these fish respond to good treatment.

Cheers
Debbie