River Tank Babies!!!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi LES..,

I checked the filter 5 weeks after I found the fry, but sadly there was nothing that time. :cry: I'll be checking again soon, so I'll let you know if there's any more then.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

chris1932

Hi Emma

Post by chris1932 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:43 pm

Emma

I am an excited boy as of now I am awaiting the arrival of my Sewellia from Vietnam. Pics to follow as soon as I pick them up. Your little ones are looking well and so so lovable.

Christian
Hello all from Happy River
I have lost count of how many tanks I have

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Lets hope those Sewellia come in fat and healthy. :wink:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:12 pm

Here are some pictures I took yesterday 04/09/2006. I've finally got my camera back from Nikon, but they seem to have reset everything so it's been difficult trying to set everything back to how I had it - not too sure if it's all correct yet. It's been difficult getting a good sharp focus on these little chaps, so I think I may have to fiddle around with it a bit more yet. Anyway.....here they are:

On the side glass, with a ruler placed underneath for a rough idea of scale:

Resting on the top of the heater, and slightly in the shade:

Although not completely in focus, I have included this one as I liked the overhead reflection on the left hand side. It shows the markings developing quite nicely:

Side by side:

A close-up of the underside:

On the heater guard:

Posing with the dorsal erect:

A bit blurry, but the markings stand out quite nicely when the fish rest on the black sand:

One resting on one of the flat stones, with another on the sand:

Emma :D
Last edited by Emma Turner on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:28 pm

They get more adorable all the time. :)

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:10 pm

WOW!.......................just wow :lol:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:02 am

Lovely!! :D

So when are you moving them into the large tank, Emma?

Hendra

Post by Hendra » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:26 am

Wow!! 8)

I missed this wonderful thread for long time. Congratulations Emma. !!! 8)

What you feed the fries?

Perhaps this very different looking fries compare to adults is a clue why so far, there is no any specimens of Gastromyzon species with size under 1 cm found in wild?? :?:

Here pic of comparison between juvenile and adults,

the juveniles already have size about 1,5 cm, it rather easy to identify it as juveniles of Gastromyzon sp "SK02" because of its wide head and fins, and especially it already have red stripe at caudal fin.

Probably it have narrower body and head in smaller juveniles like Emma's Sewellia case?? :?:
Image so many fishes Imageso little time

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:28 am

Thats a excellent comparison picture, Hendra. 8)

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:33 am

Thanks guys! :D

Graeme - I don't think I'll be happy moving the little 'uns into the main river tank just yet, at least not whilst those Hikari danios are in there :shock: (they try and eat anything little that moves!) As beautiful as they are, I'm seriously thinking about taking them back to the shop in exchange for maybe some Vietnamese white clouds. There are also about 10 lovely Eirmotus octozona in the main tank (looking stunning), but they are very shy and hide in the darker areas of the tank most of the time. I don't see them as a threat to small fish as they seem so placid and keep to themselves, so I think they'd be fine with the Sewellia fry.

Anyways Graeme, when they get to a slightly bigger size, I was going to see if you'd like 3 of them for your tank? I know you'd take good care of them and you already have some. When you next visit (I think you said sometime in the new year), you can take them back with you if you'd like them. :?: It is supposedly even easier to breed from tank-raised fish. :wink: :D

Hendra - thank you for posting your wonderful comparison pic of SK02. :D They are such a beautiful species, and I love seeing new photos of them (as I am sure everyone else here does), so keep them coming! The Sewellia fry must have initially been feeding on bits and pieces in the filter, then once I'd found them and put them into their little tank, I added a mature sponge filter taken from the main river tank. The sponge probably contained lots of little critters for them to feed on. I also started adding very small amounts of a fine powdered food made by Interpet called 'Liquifry No. 3 Baby Plus Fry Growth Food'. This has been one of their main foods I've been giving them since finding them, but I also sometimes crush up small pieces of algae wafer or JMC catfish pellets for them. The dried food is offered in the morning, and at night time I add some defrosted frozen foods (small stuff) such as baby brineshrimp and daphnia.

Emma

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:41 am

Emma Turner wrote:Anyways Graeme, when they get to a slightly bigger size, I was going to see if you'd like 3 of them for your tank? I know you'd take good care of them and you already have some. When you next visit (I think you said sometime in the new year), you can take them back with you if you'd like them. :?: It is supposedly even easier to breed from tank-raised fish. :wink: :D
Oh well!!I couldn't possibly pass up on a opportunity like that, Emma. :wink: Much appreciated. :D My next visit will be the first week in January. Already looking forward to it.

Many thanks.
Graeme.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:48 am

Excellent! :mrgreen:

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:05 am

Emma. Now that i know what other new arrivals you have. I might be driving down in December now!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:30 pm

Photo update 16-09-2006:

I tried to measure them accurately with a ruler when they were on the front glass, but they kept wriggling about! :lol: I think they are just over 2.5cm now. :D

Sorry there's not too many pics, but I've been a bit pre-occupied today. :wink:

Emma

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:36 pm

Lady......you've got to write that article.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.