Some questions involving loaches...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

botiaboy

Some questions involving loaches...

Post by botiaboy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Well,I've finnally found something to specialize in in the hobby,and that would be (drumrole please).....LOACHES!!!!!I want to collect and keep as many sepecies as possible.I have 4,any recomendations?I have kubotia,yoyo,clown,and sinibotia longiventralis.Also,I want to have something else in the 55 gallon tank,besides loaches vand a pleco,since even though ive tanken a liking to loaches,some people might find the tak looking a bit empty.I don'twant a school,just a good sized fish that won't annoy the loaches but is eye catching.I also have some questions about driftwood.I have a peice that is attatched to a peice of slate by a stainless steel nail.I'm wooried,though,since loaches are sensitive to metals in the water.I also want to know if you soak the driftwood in the tank or in a bucket.I just love my loaches so much,i don't wan them to get hurt or die from a little mistake.
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:05 am

Take the nail out if I were you. There are various grades of stainless steel, and although the decent types (ie. austenetic) will not corrode, cheaper ones will eventually - especially in water, and a nail will almost certainly be made of a cheaper grade (ie. martensitic) and could leach into the water as it de-grades.

Probably information overkill, but yeah, take the nail out!

Driftwood you can put straight in the water and it won't do any harm, although it will leach harmless tannins for a week or two, which are easily removed with carbon if you don't like how it makes the water look. It may also lower your ph slightly, which if you have hard water, would be favorable for the loaches anyway.

As for other tankmates you might see more of your loaches if you have a small shoal of dither fish. I would go for something Asian, from a simular sort of habitat as the loaches you wish to keep. Maybe around 5 decent sized Puntius Denisoni, aka red line torpedo barbs. These are stunning, if a little expensive, and would make an excellent addition to a loach tank.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:44 am

If you seriously want to specialize on keeping Loaches in your aquarium. I would strongly recommend that you read as much possible here on LOL. Even look through the 'Loach Forum Archives'

This site has been here since 1998 and over the years the amount of information has been exceptional. The information is from 'basic' care to 'breedings'

So go and 'read' 'read'.......and let your brain hurt! :wink:

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:02 am

I don't really want a school of fish,just 1 larger fish.
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:30 am

I had to laugh when I read the part about the empty tank!! How well I know that phrase. People look at my tanks and always ask where are the fish!!!

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:27 pm

Ok,I found a fish to keep with the loaches,and I'm going to soak the driftwood soon.So,does annyone know much about skunk loaches?Do they need to be kept in a school?How big do they get?I want to get them for my collection.
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:54 pm

Ok, I have almost done this, well attempted to. At one time, I had about 11 or 12 different species of Botias, not necessarily loaches.

Here are two crutial recommendations for the future and happyness of your tank:
#1 Some, most species will need their own kind (3 or more) to socialize, be happy and not interfere with others.
Example. One Modesta will terrorize the tank, one Skunk will terrorize the smaller striadas, one Clown will be sad..etc etc. Two few of a specie increases agression amongst them. Two striadas or tigers will fight a lot. One tiger might be Ok.

#2 Get a Bigger tank now or later!! This is a must!! and I would not recommend getting more than 3 or 4 species in a 55G. I have a 120 and a 100G and it is too small for me. Your tank may still look empty with a lot of botias. In my tank, sometimes you see a only few tetras. Throw some frozen brine and the tank will fill up with a frienzy of feeding Botias
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm planning on upgrading for my clowns and my common pleco,and I'm not adding too many other fish.I know about how most loaches school.The tank will only have 3 loaches after i upgrade,unless I'ts ok to add more.I'm only going to add a geophagus,and besides these the tank will have 3 Upside down catfish(S. nigriventris)Is that overstocked?
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:32 pm

I don't think it is.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:10 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:If you seriously want to specialize on keeping Loaches in your aquarium. I would strongly recommend that you read as much possible here on LOL. Even look through the 'Loach Forum Archives'

This site has been here since 1998 and over the years the amount of information has been exceptional. The information is from 'basic' care to 'breedings'

So go and 'read' 'read'.......and let your brain hurt! :wink:
Obviously this went over your head!!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:25 pm

botiaboy wrote:So,does annyone know much about skunk loaches?Do they need to be kept in a school?How big do they get?I want to get them for my collection.
Despite their relatively small size, Skunks are notoriously aggressive and would not make good tankmates for the fish in your current set-up. All types of Botiine loaches should be kept in shoals (preferably 5 or more of each kind), this I would have thought you would have known already?
Take some time and read through some of the archives, as Graeme has already suggested - you won't find better loachy information anywhere.
botiaboy wrote:I want to collect and keep as many sepecies as possible.I have 4,any recomendations?I have kubotia,yoyo,clown,and sinibotia longiventralis.Also,I want to have something else in the 55 gallon tank,besides loaches vand a pleco,since even though ive tanken a liking to loaches
All of us here love loaches. But the key is not to cram as many different types as you can into one tank. It is better to stick to only a couple of compatible loach species per tank, along with some dither fish to make them feel more secure e.g. barbs, rasboras, danios etc. If you really want to care for a number of different species, particularly the more aggressive ones (such as the skunks) then you must think about another aquarium for them.

Also bear in mind that Clowns Loaches and common plecos (if that's what you have) will outgrow a 55 gallon tank fairly quickly.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:51 pm

Yesx I know they will,but they would outgrow the 26 gallon tank they were in alot faster.Also,arent loaches slow-growing?I'm not cramming them in the same ank.I may add 1 more species of loach to that,I've got another 55 gallon for a dojo loach and 2 goldfish(I don't want a heated tank)
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:24 pm

Why do you only have 1 yoyo? He needs friends or to be returned. You should work on keeping the fish you have happy before getting a new species. As Graeme & Emma said, 5 are needed for a group, with 3 being the bare minimum. You won't get to experience their real behavior & their long term health will be compromised. Maybe if you want multiple species you should take back the yoyo & clowns & get smaller loaches that you can keep in bigger groups. I'm setting up a 75 for 6 striatas & 6 sids ( :) ok & maybe kuhlis) so I'll have the room for them to grow & act normal without worrying about their next tank. I have 6 3.5in clowns that I'll have to move soon(ish) but I don't want to move them more than I have to as it's stressful to them (& me).
Nancy