Baby Kubotais in BIG tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mamaschild

Baby Kubotais in BIG tank?

Post by mamaschild » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Ok, I have gotten heavily back into my loach fanaticism :roll:

In my 125g I have 9 Clowns ~3" plus 4 Kubotai and a few other fish. I snagged 6 Kubotai from Lotsoffish on Aquabid and are they ADORABLE....but TINY. They have been in QT and are fiesty, eating like the pigs they are, and fattening up nicely :D

However, I'm a little concerened about moving them to their actual home, the 125g. There is nothing in there that will eat them, but......I would love to move them this weekend, but I'm concerned since they are only about 1 inch.

Am I stressing over nothing? The tank is well established, planted with E. Bleheri, Crypts and Java Ferns on wood. Sand substrate with river rocks perfect for perching and watching me....which the others seem to like to do :shock: I have two Cascade 1500s plus a high output powerhead. I do my weekly changes of 50% and the tank is very healthy.

I think I'm more concerned with them getting lost then anything else :roll:

Anyone wanna chime in with thoughts? I would appreciate it :D

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:13 pm

hiya m8 i have my semi-adults in my main 450litre tank and they done fine ever sine i had them altho they was a littel bigger then yours are, i would say they should be fine provided they have somewhere to doss so to speak mine love just lazing in plants and such

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks, Wayne :D

Seems everyone must agree with you, as no one else has posted ;)

Well, I guess they will be moved in with the big guys this weekend....unless anyone has any concerns they feel I should know about :?:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:56 pm

i put mine in the big tank with some big botias in, and no problems in fact the young kubs were chasing the other fish about.
go ahead and introduce them, they'll love the expanse of the big tank.

mick

jwyfk

Re: Baby Kubotais in BIG tank?

Post by jwyfk » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:06 pm

mamaschild wrote:I snagged 6 Kubotai from Lotsoffish on Aquabid
I did, too! :D I bought 10 Darios, 6 Rostrata, and 6 Kubotai from Lotsoffish. I just received the Kubotai and 4 extra Darios yesterday. I can't believe I actually spent $10-$20 each for Kubotai from Petsmart in the past.

Anyway, to answer your question. All of these fish are in quarantine, but the last 2 baby Kubotai I bought at Petsmart went directly into my 120 gallon tank. They are doing quite well, and none of the larger fish mess with them.

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 pm

I love Lotsoffish! That seller has great fish, and the fact that he/she has 2001 by Phish on his/her current Botia kubotai auction page makes him/her even cooler! I'm a huge Phan (they're back btw!) 8)

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:13 pm

I didn't know he played Phish, but wouldn't recognize their music anyway. Maybe I'll give them a chance one of these days? Years ago, my best friend's friend attended a party hosted by one of the band members and supposedly saw William - (edit...actually, Jonathan) Frakes from Star Trek doing a bong hit. I would've been so tempted to say "Number One...engage!"

If Lotsoffish plays Rush, he'll have a customer for life!
Last edited by jwyfk on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:11 pm

jwyfk wrote:I didn't know he played Phish, but wouldn't recognize their music anyway. Maybe I'll give them a chance one of these days? Years ago, my best friend's friend attended a party hosted by one of the band members and supposedly saw William Frakes from Star Trek doing a bong hit. I would've been so tempted to say "Number One...engage!"
:lol: Haha that's great! 8)

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 pm

I got the first name wrong, but corrected it. Funny story, though! "Make it so Number One!" :lol:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:48 am

just an observation but has anyone noticed that the upper lobe of the caudal is shorter than the lower only on my kubs.
i checked on my other botias and there's are both the same length.
i wonder why that is??.

mick

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Wanted to thank you all, and give you an update :D

Tha babies went into the big tank and other then a bit of curiosity from the Severums, there was nothing :) They have intigrated right into the group and are doing great :mrgreen:

I'm glad I have this place, even if it took me close to a year to return.

{{HUGS}} to all ;)

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:18 pm

mamaschild wrote:
I'm glad I have this place, even if it took me close to a year to return.

{{HUGS}} to all ;)
It's good to have you back. :)
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:32 pm

Welcome back! Glad your kubs are doing well.