My loach tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Colin clown loach

My loach tank

Post by Colin clown loach » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:36 am

Being new to your forum I thought I would put up some pics of my tank to see what you think.

Here is the tank
60"x24"x30" approx 700l
1no Tetratec 1200ex with uv steralizer connected in line
2 no 1900l/hr powerheads connected to river system style set up.
1No external gravity outlet pond filter. pond capacity 2000l driven by yamitsu submerged fountain pump delivering approx 1800l/hr.
Rena 300w heater
Jager 300w heater
2No 40w aqua glow lighting tubes

The tank has a 50mm drain hole in the bottom, hence I installed under gravel filter plates and 25mm of course gravel and 50mm of fine. I use this for water changes. I thought this would keep the gravel clean instead of using a gravel vac but it dosnt seem to work very well.

Internal decor includes sandstone stepping stones from diy merchant and various rocks and pieces of bog wood

Java furn and anubias for planting, I cant get anything else to grow :cry: and the loaches dont seem to like having the 2 tubes on all day so I generally just use the one tube.

Sorry about the photo quality, its just a camera phone but you get the general just of the layout.

Last edited by Colin clown loach on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
180 gal
13 clown loach medium 2-4", 1 clown loach large 5" 10 clown loach small >2", 4 zebra loach >2", 1 gold nugget plec 3", Snowball plec 3", 1 hop catfish 3".

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:49 am

Very nice indeed!! :D

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:07 pm

Very nice, Colin. 8) You'll have to expand the caves as the loaches expand though! :lol: What's in the other tank we can see in the first pic?

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Colin clown loach

Post by Colin clown loach » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for the complements guys, no one really see's my tanks, its nice to get feedback.

@ Emma my other tank is a 5 footer with a tiger oscar. He is about 6" now and I have had it maybe 5months, very entertaining and responsive, never shy, I love him/her.

caves, expand, yup no problem, I opened one up a little bit on saturday and they dont like it now, they all cram in the smaller one, ho well. Maybe the disturbance freaked them a little, thay will chill out soon enough.
180 gal
13 clown loach medium 2-4", 1 clown loach large 5" 10 clown loach small >2", 4 zebra loach >2", 1 gold nugget plec 3", Snowball plec 3", 1 hop catfish 3".

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Nice loaches.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Nice tank. I noticed you had plants in the substrate between the rocks. Do your Clowns dig them up?

Cheers
Debbie

Colin clown loach

Post by Colin clown loach » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 am

valkyrie wrote:Nice tank. I noticed you had plants in the substrate between the rocks. Do your Clowns dig them up?

Cheers
Debbie
ty,
I have problems with plants, they just keep dying on me, maybe not enough light, my clowns dont seem to like strong light so I leave the second tube off most of the time

The plants between the rocks are an anubius type plant and no the clowns dont seem to be able to shift the rocks, some of the plants I put in have either died or become dislodged from the root but those still in place have been in for maybe a month or so, they should be taking root by now. Some of the plants I have were sold in large pots so I bury the pot and surround in rock, they seem to be doing fine-except previous tank occupiers ate nost of them, the remaining ones look a little scabby but I am hoping the root is still good and will grow more leaves, cant harm leaving them in except they look a bit of a mess.
180 gal