Clown loaches and substrate

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

valkyrie

Clown loaches and substrate

Post by valkyrie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi all

I have a quick question regarding Clown Loaches and substrate. Which substrate if any do they prefer. My new tank arrives this week and was thinking of using sand for the substrate. Thought, Ideas, most appreciated.

Cheers

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:04 pm

i think everyone on LOL would agree go with a good quality sand mine love it and its so mych nicer on there little barbels which are quite delicate

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Sand. :D
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. Sand it is.

Cheers

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:14 pm

something i have founf the hard way is when you get the sand wash it in a bucket first by half filling a bucket with water the sprinkle the sand through it this will remove any eccess dust and such (tank looks kinda cloudy otherwise lol)

rave

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks Rave,

I did intend to clean the sand out thoroughly in a large bucket before adding to the tank. I think I will be there for hours as the tanks is 6'x2'x2', and I like a decent amount of substrate.

Cheers
Debbie

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:44 pm

Sand can be packaged in bags that have the sand sorted into certain size ranges. Might use a different system in different places, however I have found that sand sold for pool filters works well. It can be 20 mesh to 30 mesh. This is a fairly fine sand but does not have the powdery fines in it. Such sand is also sold for sand blasting. Sand is also available sorted into other sizes, as well, and somewhat coarser sand works well, too.

Other sand that still has the powdery fines is sold here as Play sand. The mixed sizes of the particles makes this pack down in the tank and can create poor water flow through the sand and create anaerobic pockets. Get the other sort of sand.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

greenbaron

Post by greenbaron » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 pm

I don't have sand in my tank, but I always thought it would be nice... I'm just wondering, are you able to vacuum the substrate like you can with gravel?

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Another vote for sand.

You don't really need to vac sand as all the crap stays on top. I have fairly fine sand so everything gathers in one/two areas on the surface and I can eaisly remove it. You just have to stir the sand if its deep everyonce in a while to avoid dead spots. I have just about an inch in my clown loach tank and as they + the holpo cats are always sifting through I really find no need to :D Very low maintance and better all round :!:

Ashleigh

greenbaron

Post by greenbaron » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:34 pm

hmmm... boy I bet that'd be some work removing all the gravel and putting sand in my 75'er! I shudder just to think about it!!!
does that pool filter sand some in different colors by the way...?

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:03 pm

One more for sand :)

I had a smooth gravel for a long time with my Clowns, then I redid their tank, and changed to a "silver sand" that I can get at the landscape supply store (about $20 for 100 lbs). I could not believe the difference in the Clowns antics. You could almost see them smiling as they investigated and played in it :wink:

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:16 pm

green there is a simple way to remove gravel and replace with sand.. i got a large pipe from my LFS cost about £4 and i syphoned the gravel straight out and then put the water back in the tank and discarded the gravel then topped the tank with the sand took about 45mins in all and that was on a 450litre tank really is quick

rave