compatabillity advice needed

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

raving_wayne

compatabillity advice needed

Post by raving_wayne » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:14 pm

hiya guys and gals and loaches

i have a simple question really i have been offered a 11" royal plec extremely cheap and im goign to buy it but...... i really want to put it in my loach tank has anyone heard of any probs with royals and loaches, i know royals can be terrortorial so i thought i would ask some if anyone has any experience with the 2 together

Rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:34 pm

I have a Royal with Discus, a Bristlenose Pleco and a Siamese Algae Eater. He is smaller than yours (barely 4") and is a peaceful guy (or gal).
At the LFS I have seen larger ones, and the people in the store said that the larger one was a little pushy toward the other Plecos (mostly commons) but was no problem with the other fish (Oscar, a couple of other Cichlids, an Ornate Bicher)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:55 pm

i think i will try him in the tank tomorrow and keep a real close eye on them for a few weeks if all goes well then he will stay if not ill stick him in one of the smaller tanks i have a 120litre that he can go in with a few hoplos and a couple of other cats, would be great if all goes well as the royal is only costing me £10 as the people im getttin from are doing away with there tank tomorrow so i get there fish nice and cheap i had 2 5inch clowns and 3 adult yoyo's off them tonight and only paid £19.50 for the lot so defo ona good thing here lol
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:27 am

I've not kept a Royal with Loaches, but did have one that was around 6".
Biggest problem I've found with them is their copious waste production. They absolutely need wood to gnaw on and then you have wood pulp coming out the back end. This can cause vastly increased filter servicing requirements because this stuff clogs filters quickly.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:39 pm

absolutely need wood to gnaw on
So THAT is who is eating the oak bark! He has it almost paper thin in places, and holes are showing through.
Should have realized... Panaque are noted for eating wood.

OK, Royal, I will add more wood to your tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Fabulous photo, Martin!
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?