pale yo-yo

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

vicreidel

pale yo-yo

Post by vicreidel » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi to all, first a little introduction.
My name is victor, i am from buenos aires-argentina.
First, forgive me for my english, :oops: i didn't use it for a looong time, but i'll try.
I have 3 yo-yos, i've quarent. them for 20 days, all ok.
They are in a 160lt tank with 2 clowns(4-5 cm), 8 xiphos . The 3 are very active, but there is one that is a little pale, the black stripes are grey.
Is this normal. The yo-yos are about 3-4cm., ph, kh, gdh, no2, nh3 are OK
Thank you, is a very interesting forum. :?: :?:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Welcome. Don't worry this is an international forum and many people practice their English here. Your English is also very easy to understand. :)

It sounds like your Yoyo is "graying out" due to some sort of stress -- probably wants to be the top fish and is fighting with the others. I have a young Yoyo that turns almost completely silver when he fights.

Make sure his new tank is large enough. You may want to post pictures to make sure it isn't something more serious.

There's a great glossary on this forum.
http://www.loaches.com/working-glossary
Graying out: Term used to describe loss of coloration or modification of normal patterning during fighting between loaches. Generally the contrast between normally dark and light areas diminishes.

vicreidel

Post by vicreidel » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:24 pm

Thank you starsplitter.
I haven't seen them fighting, but always 2 together and the pale alone...
I'll keep on watching and try to get some pictures(are too fast for me)
I am waiting for a new tank, 160cm.x50x55height. for the loaches.

Thanks

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:19 pm

Bienvenidos a Loaches, Victor
(and there is about the limits of my Spanish!)

Does the one that is pale chase the others, or do they chase him?
Is there competition for food? Are all of the Loaches getting a reasonable share of food?

If one Loach is losing out, and not eating because the others are taking all the food you might want to separate the Loaches for a while.
Try removing the pushiest Loach from the tank and let the others figure out how to deal with each other, then add the bossy one back to the tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:23 am

i find that my yoyo's grey alot and as they get older and larger they remain grey i have 9 of them and only the smallest are still dark all the adults and sub adults remain a pretty silver grey at all times, i seperated them for a while a while back to see if it was just about competition and they remained grey for a number of weeks so i put them back, i have come to the conclusion that they are fading in colour due to there sizes stretching the pigments in the scales. whether this is correct or not i have no idea but they all are eating well and there is very little competition in the tank, they seem very content with the setup and feeding roster.

Rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

vicreidel

Post by vicreidel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:39 am

Today is OK :lol: , are frys about 3-4cm.
I'll keep on watching, thank you...